connections?

D

Dieselboy

hey, i have a binatone adsl 500 modem hooked up to my pc in the office to the business phone line (we have two lines)

my 360 however will live in my bedroom from christmas day which has an unused business line socket

i cant really be running ethernet cables all over the house so my question is

could i get another binatone modem, hook it up to the business line socket in my bedroom and configure it to the same ISP address, username and password via my 360??

thus saving getting wireless connectors or running cables all over the place

dunno if what i'm suggesting is feasable but it seems sound enough to me

anyone with any ideas? thanks

noshoulders

Novice Member
i'm a little unclear... if the phone socket in your office is the same line as in your bedroom then no, you can only have one adsl modem per line.

However, if you don't want to go wireless then netgear do a 'power line networking' product that's basically two 3pin wall plugs. It sends the signal thru your electrical cables. This would mean you'd have to buy a router for the office, and then configure the plug to work with the router. The last one i set up was a bit of a pig...

D

Dieselboy

sounds like it could be a pain in the arse,

i'm only using the binatone at the mo as the trendnet wireless router and USB dongle reciever thingy just packed up last week with no explanation as to why

not speaking to the old man at the time being as we have had a fall out....

so cant find out what i need to do to get everything ready for the 360 as xmas is only two weeks away

i presume if i can get that to work again i can use that router and the dongle in my 360 to go wireless???

giving myself a bleedin headache..........

noshoulders

Novice Member
diesel. not sure about using the dongle. (mine's wired), i think the 360 has it's own official wireless device and won't let you use just any old usb dongle.

There's a guy on this forum who runs this site, make sure u check it:
http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/

i'm sure your questions are answered on there

DD3

Novice Member
If you want to use xbox live and not stream video from a pc as well then a couple of 14Mb homeplug adapters will do you fine, they give an ethernet connection for you to plug into your router (I assume it has a spare ethernet port) and the plug that goes by your xbox gives you a connection for the xbox. they effectively stretch the connection of the xbox over your mains wiring. Someone on here found some cheap at maplin if that helps.

D

Dieselboy

cheers, gonna read up on them, are they reliable do you know?

DD3

Novice Member
yes, but shop around, you can find them on ebay amazon etc. cheaper than maplin Ive since found out.

D

Dieselboy

well i've looked at the back of my modem and all it has is a USB port to the PC

if i go for the homeplug idea im going to have to get a new modem+2 homeplugs

its looking quite costly as the minute

can anyone reccomend a relatively low price modem to either

connect straight from the 360 to the phone line in my room
(while the one in the other room is disconnected)

or
replace my usb modem to go with the homeplug option

cheapest homeplugs i can find are about £20 each with postage

DD3

Novice Member
Does your pc have an ethernet port in it?

If so and you can cope with havinig to leave pc on to play on live then you could connect through the pc using the homeplugs.

D

Dieselboy

it has an ethernet port, i though the port had to be on the actual modem/router tho

i've plugged the trendnet wireless modem/router in, i think its just the modem bit thats shagged as my PSP can still locate it but it cant connect to the internet as the ISP times out

although in the ten minutes since i wrote that last sentence my psp has now connected with the trendnet!!! :) wahey!!

looks like i'll only have to fork out £60 for the wireless adaptor now then :(

D

Dieselboy

bit of a longshot and i'm sure microsoft put something in to halt me in my tracks but does anyone know if the usb wireless reciever that came with my router will work with the 360?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom