1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections to AV Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DanialClarke, Jan 24, 2003.

1. DanialClarke

DanialClarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally taken the plunge and ordered my Denon AVR-1803 Receiver. I've been trying to work out how it's all going to be connected so I can buy the right leads and be ready to go when it arrives.

I'm going to be connecting a DVD player and a Sky digital box to the Receiver (and some other audio sources but they're the easy bit!), and would like to use AV switching if possible.

The DVD player will go in 'Video-1' which is component RGB so I'll need a Scart-to-RGB-RCA-Phono lead. Similarly the Sky box will go in Video-2 (also RGB) via a similar lead.

I then need to take the component video output ('Monitor') to the TV, so I need a 3-Phono-to-Scart lead.

First question - how am I doing so far?! Have I basically understood this or am I way off?

Second question - if I have a lead with a scart on one end and three phono plugs (for component video) on the other, can I use that to go either way, or will it be specifically 'scart-to-phono' or 'phono-to-scart'?

Thirdly, is there going to be any problem with having these leads 2-3 metres long? (other than expense of course)

Finally can anyone recommend what I should by and where I should buy it? I've heard that Puresonic are good leads, and CPC sell them very cheaply, but it's hard to tell what it is you're buying because they give so little information. Also Puresonic don't appear to do a lead which is Scart to component video or vice versa.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Dan.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Do not confuse RGB and component video. They are completely different, so you won't be able to get a SCART-3 Phono lead in this fashion. This is why you can't find a lead on Puresonics' site
    If your DVD player has component out, aka 3 phonos with red/green/blue colours, then this is the best video standard and should be used if possible (though I haven't seen much difference between component and RGB). If not, and the player has "only" an RGB output, then you will have to connect the player to the TV directly. You can use s-video and route this through the amp alright, and then onto the TV as S-video, but I would rather use RGB. If you are running out of SCART sockets, and your player has 2 SCART's on the back, then you can loop through Sky, and only use one SCART on the TV.

Phono's and SCARTS over 3m are okay, as long as they are shielded well. Profi-Gold and Ixos are good, as are Thor (from maplins? I can’t remember).

Russell

3. Barney McGrew

Barney McGrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of DVD player and TV do you have. This is important as we need to know the type of connections available

4. DanialClarke

DanialClarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player is Toshiba SD110e, TV is Panasonic TX28 something (100Hz with PIP). The DVD has one Scart, S-Video and digital audio out; the TV has 3 Scarts, 2 of which are RGB.

After some more digging and some useful replies on uk.media.home-cinema (I posted the same question there so apologies if you read it twice) I've decided that AV switching is not the way to go. I'd only be able to do it with s-video and I'd rather stick to RGB. I'll just take the audio (digital from the DVD, analog from Sky) to the receiver and keep the video signal going direct to the TV. Another reason is I think I can set this up with cables I've got.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Dan.