1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections on Panny PW5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aerialman, Jun 12, 2003.

1. aerialman

aerialman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help appreciated. Just landed one for £3050 from Richers including Panny stand. Very chuffed.

Have a Marantz SR7200 which will accept 2 * Component in and go 1 out to screen.

Have component on DVD player- no problem.

PC will be connected to VGA.- No problem

Netgem only has Scart.- Problem.

Want to connect X-Box occaisionally and not sure how yet, but hope to get best possible i.e. Hi-Def output/component, not sure which or where from- Please help.

Also may want to connect recorder of some sort in future.

Can anyone reccommend the best way to connect this lot to the RCA board, as I am struggling and the misses is geeting the hump at me spending hours every night reading these forums.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    If netgem has an RGB SCART output, then you could get a JS RGB2YUV converter and take the YUV from that and feed it into your second component input (assuming your DVD player is connected into your first component input).

A common suggestion is to daisy chain the components that have 2 RGB SCARTS together and then stick either a RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA converter on the end of the chain.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Spanjab

Spanjab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can get XBox component cables which include the toslink for 5.1 as well. Microsoft make them or you can get third party ones which I have never tried.

I would be wary about running component through your amp, compare the quality direct to the screen with the quality through the amp to make sure you aren't suffering badly!

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Latest software update for Netgem will give you component out on scart so no converter box required, but.... (isn't there always one).

I have tried these combo's

Netgem RGB --> JS RGB2YUV -> PW5 Component
    Netgem YUV --> PW5 Component
    Netgem RGB --> JS RGB2VGA -> PW5 VGA

I personally prefer the picture using the RGB2VGA converter. Using YUV (either method) seemed to show up much more artifacts. I noticed this (for example) around "The Hits" logo.

Using the RGB2VGA converter gave a much better picture in my opinion.

Rob.