• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connections help

akivo

Established Member
I've just got my first blu ray player and am trying to get the best audio from it.

I'm connecting it to floorstanding speakers via composite red/white leads to an older Cambridge Audio amp (the amp doesn't have any other option other than for connection with composite cables).

The sound is ok but I got a better performance from my old DVD player, although the new blu ray player plays audio CD at a much higher performance.

Changing the settings on the blu ray player makes no difference - anyone got any advice/ideas please?

dante01

Distinguished Member
A BD player is no better at playing CDs than a CD player. Blu-ray comes into its own where audio is concerned because BD titles use HD audio formats not found on other forms of media. These HD formats are encoded at a much higher level than the audio found on CDs or DVDs. You cannot access the HD formats via any other connection other than HDMI or multichannel analogue.

The quality of audio you get from a CD player is usually determined by the quality and grade of DAC used. A dedicated high end CD player will outperform the vast majority of Blu-ray player when playing CDs, but while a BD player can play DVDs, CDs and Blu-ray discs, a CD player can only spin CDs. Owning a BD player will not in itself ensure you get better audio from CD and/or DVDs.

Last edited:

akivo

Established Member
Thanks. I'm a real novice when it comes to these things.

What would be your advice? Will I need to get a new amp or can I connect my BD player to my existing amp using different connectors to improve the audio?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I'm a real novice when it comes to these things.

What would be your advice? Will I need to get a new amp or can I connect my BD player to my existing amp using different connectors to improve the audio?

You can only utilise the left and right RCA (phono) output in conjunction with your amp. This will limit the audio to 2 channel analogue stereo. You could utilise an external DAC from the BD player's optical output, but you'd still need to then connect the DAC to your amp via stereo RCA leads. The stereo audio quality may be better if using a quality external DAC, but it will still only be in stereo.

If you want to access multichannel discrete SD and/or HD audio then you will need a new amp. Stereo performance will not necessarily be any better with an AV amp, but you will be able to access the higher quality HD encoded audio and/or the SD digital formats.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What CA amp do you currently have? How much could you spend on a new amp?
Do you want surround sound or maintain stereo?

akivo

Established Member
My existing CA amp is about 14 years old, I couldn't tell you the model type.

I'm thinking I should get an AV receiver - I'm trying to get an idea of how much I'd have to spend to maintain stereo and eventually upgrade to surround?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom