1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections help for a newbie.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Claire, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Claire

Claire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. We are in the process of getting a plasma and the LG sounds like a realy good deal...expecially if we can get JL GLasgow to pricematch. Anyway, here is my question, could I get advice on how to connect the following to the TV for the best possible picture and also could I get advice on where to get the interconnects from:

Panny E55
    Tivo
    Sony STR-KSL40 Amp
    PS2
    Gamecube (this has to be connected via s-video as it is an import machine)

Many thanks. We are looking for medium-high quality connects that won't break the bank. Thanks for your help.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Claire. Even after a kicking, none of the passionate supporters of your plasma can be bothered to help you, so I will do my best. I don't sell them, I've got my info here at LG's UK site.
    It has 1 RGB scart. Bearing in mind the Faroudja chipset, I would almost bet my life the screen deinterlacing is better than the E55, so I think I'd connect that to RGB scart. Get yourself a component kit for the PS2, they are filth cheap, £5.99 or something I believe you can do, or £9.99 at game if you can't be bothered to search. The s-video will be there for the import gamecube, and I think daisy chain your Tivo to the E55, enabling RGB on both, and RGB input on the E55. That's a lot of TV tuners! Connect all to the amp, use digital wherever possible, though you may not need to connect from the gamecube or tivo if you connect audio out from the TV, as these 2 have no digital output, so no advantage in independent connection.

3. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give it a break MAW, some of us don't use the forum every hour of the day ;)

The advice regarding connections is quite good, but I would recommend the following.

Game Cube > Connect to LG using S-video cable and plug your phono leads in for sound

TIVO > Connect to LG using a good quality scart cable ( I use http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV782.html )

Panny E55 > Connect to LG using a good quality component cable ( I use http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV332.html ).
    For sound to the plasma use a good quality audio cable (such as http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH002.html). Not sure on sound to the AMP, but if it takes an optical cable then use it.

PS 2 > A good quality scart cable will get an average picture and decent sound.

Regarding the Panny E55 and PS2, if your amp has component inputs, use the amp for switching then output to the LG with phono audio cables.

If you get a little confused, give me a PM and I'll look into it further.

:)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What about the PS2 then? The get a grip comment actually refers to Ross in fact, he spent some time yesterday just sniping pointlessly, he should make a contribution, not just bitch.

5. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    MAW - I don't remember bitching yesterday ! anyway I have made some contributions. Sorry I couldn't help with this one, I don't have Tivo, amp, PS2 or Gamecube so therefore don't know how to connect them.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I still think my way is better, you can archive off the Tivo, and get YUV for the PS2 which is excellent on a plasma. The only reason for preferring YUV over RGB is the progressive scan issue, and knowing the E55 quite well, and also the chipset in the LG, in other AV equipment, that's what I'd do. Though If you are looking for an amp upgrade at some point, Claire, I think I'd go for a Pioneer VSX402, which has the capacity to switch 3 RGB scart devices. You'll get some sensible connection options there.

7. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good point on the YUV Maw, so knowing the E55 would you recommend I change to RGB on my setup ?

How would you wire up the following ?

SKY +
    Panny E55
    Panny SAHE-9 amp (old but good)
    Playstation 2
    GameCube

If I feed the SKY+ into the E55 would I still get a RGB output and is it a passthrough scart ?

Cheers

D.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    svideo from sky+ to e55 gives good recording quality and leaves scart free for something else

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can use the E55 as a pass thru, but as Mep says, s-vid is good too, and you don't need live pause on the E55 for sky do you. So what connections do you have for video on your amp? To get this lot done best, it might be time to think about an upgrade. Something with component switching?

10. Claire

Claire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of the help guys...it's much appreciated :thumbsup:

11. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what you both have said, I guess you know the E55 quite well...

I've tried SKY+ through the E55 (using a good scart) which looks great, but the output from the DVD does not seem as nice as it was on component... Does that sound right ?

Cheers

D.

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    sorry, but not sure what you mean, do you have sky+ going into e55 and component out of e55 to screen or have you changed component connection?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Doctor, dare I say it's a limitation of your panel then? It's for certain not the deinterlacing, I'd switch off progressive scan if it were to be connected on component, it must be the scart connection. Earlier firmware versions were very poor, I assume yours is not OMG horrible, just not as good as component? If this is still the case it's pretty limiting for the screen.

14. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    www.lik-sang.com sells COMPONENT cables for the Gamecube for like 25 quid shipped.

I got one, have to test it though with RE:4 :D

15. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yes, use Component Video if you have an NTSC GameCube. Much nicer and allows for Progressive Scan :D

16. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL, just turned on the E55 progressive scan..... And that looks better....

Thanks for that Maw, didn't realise but it must have been off since I got rid of the old CRT.

Very nice picture with the scart through on the E55, might go out and get a good component lead for the PS2 now :) Still tempted to try the SKY+ with an S-video, just to see what looks best...

I'm spending too much time on here lately - I'm starting to suffer from “quest for the best picture" ..

Cheers

D.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Very odd the prog scan thing, they make such a noise about their scaling/deinterlacing chipset! PW pannys look better with their own deinterlacer with the E55, which is, let's face it, a budget product, bucket load of tech for the money. Nothing 'wrong' with that of course, but very very surprised you think it better on prog scan.

18. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only odd thing I've just noticed is strange little lines appearing on SKY :rolleyes:

The Mrs can't seem to notice them, so it could just be my eyesight.

Does the E55 alter the SKY+ scart signal in any way ???

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's a new one on me, but anything can and does happen, to quote my 2nd favourite screen character. My 1st favourite would be very depressed about this... Does sky do it with a direct connection, is this now via component, or on RGB?

20. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's now via RGB.... it seems fine on a direct connection, but saying that it's not done it since... LOL

My 1st favourite would be very depressed about this.... hahaha

[​IMG]