Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Connections for HDTV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bryce Curdy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When Sky start broadcasting HDTV in 2006, does anyone know what the options will be for connections. Will it be HDMI/DVI, component or RGB scart. The main reason for asking is that I own a Pioneer 504HDE and my Pioneer DVD 868 is connected via HDMI to input 3, which is also the input shared with component. Switching the HDMI on and off is a bit of a pain, particularly as I doubt I could program a macro on my universal remote to do this (could be wrong).

Any thoughts?

2. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I would imagine at least component inputs would be used, but if it is protected content then almost certainly it will be HDMI only.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    RGB Scart would only be used for down-converted 576i signals. Hopefully component will be included, not just HDMI or DVI-HDCP.

Steve

4. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there will be any provider or manufacturer that will dare to drop the component connectors in the near future.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    Hello all

I'm with Mattmarsden - when you start to piece together all the info that's out and about I'm sure 720P with HDCP (i.e. from an HDMI socket) will be adopted by SKY.

Bryce - no worries about hooking multiple Digital connections into your Pioneer PlasmaTV; we have plenty of solutions in stock for you - see:

http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.htm
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/products/hd_switchers.jsp

If you want to resolve the YUV/HDMI shared input issue then a Lumagen VisionDVI video processor will solve that problem as well as providing far better video processing than you currently employ - though it'll cost you £800+.

See http://www.lumagen.com/new_products.htm

Best regards

Joe

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I hope you're right. ;) Sky would certainly p*** off a lot of folk who were potential HD customers if they didn't include component or RGBHV outputs on their HD STBs.

Steve