Connections for a VW11HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ds_kerr, Apr 29, 2002.

1. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am considering buying this pj and am currently sitting down and trying to work out how I can connect my home theatre together.

I have a Sony 535 DVD player, NTL Digital box and a PS2.

The distance of cable from my equipment to the PJ will be long (~12 metres) so I want to minimise the number of cables that need to run to the PJ.

I was hoping that I could have one high quality cable running to the PJ that would be connected to a 'switch box' that would allow me to switch the signal being sent to the PJ. Does such a device exist? Does it reduce picture quality?

I am guessing that the best quality picture will come from a component cable into the PJ.

I am a relative newbie so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave.

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The VW11 will accept component and S-Video conections. I'd suggest contacting Joe Fernand for VanDamme component cables - I paid £42 for 10m run (3 cables). This will give you the best picture from your DVD (assuming it has component out of course!).

The NTL box and PS2 will probably use S-Video - I have neither of these so I can't really be sure. The projector itself can switch between Component and S-Video via the remote control.

It might be possible to use a switching box and use a single cable but that will probably be expensive assuming one exists.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    I have:

A Pioneer LD player
    2 x JVC SVHS VCRs
    A Pioneer DVD player

All the sources are connected via Svideo into my Denon 3801 receiver. The SVideo monitor output from the Denon is connected to the projector using a 10m cable. The Denon does the switching. This is the reason why HT amps have video inputs on them. Contrary to the views of some, routing the signal like this, provided the hardware and interconnects are of good enough quality, does not degrade the signal to any visible extent.

The Pioneer DVD also has a decicated component cable running directly to the PJ (~10m) as it is the only component source I have. This does produce better results than SVideo.

The Svideo cable is a Prowire by Vivanco, £40. It produces a signal indistinguishable from that produced by a 1m IXOS cable (yes, I put the DVD player on a stepladder near the ceiling mounted projector in order to compare the two). The 3xRCA phono cable used for component came from Lektropacks for about £75. All these cables run parallel to the mains cable for the projector. No visible interference. The point is, I have broken a number of theoretical rules (because it was convenient to do so), but in practice have suffered no ill effects.

4. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Here's where my inexperince shows through :)

My Sony 535 DVD Player has these video connections:

RGB, S-Video, Composite AV
    (RGB loop-through:
    RGB¨scart 2
    Scart 1¨RGB)

Can I use component cables with this setup i.e. scart -> 3 cable component?

Thanks,
    Dave.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Compoent is 3 x RCA (Phono) type connectors. Doesn't look like your 535 has component output and I don't think it's possible to use a component to SCART connector.

RGB through S-Video (or SCART) is probably your best bet right now until you upgrade. As the other Nigel says, your amp can act as a switching box for NTL, PS2 and projector.

When you get a DVD player with component, add another set of cables. If you're going to route cables through a roof space or under floorboards, it's probably worth installing component at the same time so you have an upgrade path.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    Component isn't simply a type of cable; it is a signal protocol which the WV11 can and will receive, but it has to be supplied by a suitably equipped source. I doubt your Sony has a component output - in general it is provided only on high-end gear (no disrepect to the Sony). And, it is only of huge benefit if the DVD player has a progressive scan output (again, high-end).

The good news is that the VW11 is VERY adept at producing a good quality image from an SVideo source.

As my namesake says, if cabling is difficult or hidden, it might be a good idea to install an (unused) component (ie 3xRCA>3xRCA) connection if you have any intentions whatsoever to upgrade your DVD player.

If you have no such intentions (ever) OR if your cable route is easy to access, don't bother.