1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections for a PW6 - Help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vblue, Sep 6, 2004.

1. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have just ordered a Panny PW6 and have been searching the threads for connections and am now baffled, being a bit of a connections-phobe!

My PW6 is coming with Scart board, I want to connect Sky+ and my DVD player (Sony) to it. I have a 5.1 sound system which I'm assuming I can connect to my Sky+.

My DVD player has s-video out, digital audio out, scart outs.

A friend has suggested getting an AV connector, feeding Sky+ and the DVD player into it and then connecting the AV connector into the plasma via scart. Does this seem sensible or is there a better way without losing picture quality?

Ideally I want to do this without spending the earth. However, if there is a better approach that will make a significant picture difference then I'll bite the bullet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    If your DVD player has RGB out on the scart my suggestion would be go scart from the DVD player to the screen and buy a JS Tech RGB to VGA adaptor and connect the Sky+ via the adaptor to the VGA input on the screen.

Feed the digital outputs from the DVD player and Sky+ into your 5.1 system and away you go :)

3. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same situation, plasma and DVD player have arrived today and am awaiting all my cables (Scart, co-ax and optical), Quintro box and JS RCA to VGA converter box to arrive.

All of the above "connection" items were purchased from AVSales after talking to them and explaining my requirements - mainly that I only wanted one connection cable (apart from power) to the plasma as I have to "bury" the cables.

I wanted to go component (progressive scan) from the DVD player to the Plasma and RGB or component everything else.

Apparently, by using the Quintro to autoswitch to the last source switched on, I can connect my sky+, DVD and PS2 directly to the Quintro via RGB Scart, then to the JS converter via single RGB scart and go direct from the DVD to the JS box via component.

The JS box then has just one VGA lead going into the screen carrying component in, which leaves the on board Panny scart board for 3rd person inputs (Camcorder etc).

Hope the above helps (and that I've got it right, as I too have struggled to get my head around this :confused: :)

Still unsure what scart cables will turn up (all QED) and what the difference is between scart and SQcart? :confused: !

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    hope they didn't charge over £61 for quintro box.....
    just found the ad £91, you should pay more attention to my posts m8!
    bet you paid more than £4.50 for vga cable too!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SQART is Video only, no Audio IIRC

6. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure yet, as ordered over the phone.

Did get a discount on cables, although I've a feeling that they charged me about £90 quid... :eek:

Gear still not arrived, so if they've over charged me by £30 I wil cancel/ring up tommorrow......!

7. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks for the replies. So, to help a connection-phobe get my head around this...

The Sky+ and DVD player plugs into the Quintro which in turn plugs into the JS converter and then the JS box plugs into the VGA port on the Panny?

Does this give a better picture than plugging the Sky+ and DVD player into the Quintro and then plugging the Quintro direct into the scart board of the panny?

Sorry if these are daft questions!!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    More reliable yes better mixed opinions. loose auto aspect switching on scart etc

9. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aparently so, as your going in via component into the VGA port.

The JS box, by all accounts gives a slightly better (sharper) pic than the panny on board scart terminal.

Note: only repeating what I've been told, can't say I've seen it 1st hand yet!

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    yes, cos panasonic seem to have a bit of a problem with all their SCART inputs not only on the PW6 but the Viera models too. Plasma screens are really VGA monitors for PCs with a few add ons. The SCART add on just doesn't work right. But the VGA and component inputs are perfect. MY guess is they took a few cheap shortcuts in the sync stripper circuits. (Scart horiz and vert syncs are included in the composite signal, composite video accounts for 0.7v and mixed sync is only 0.3v) The VGA input for a monitor expects sep. H and V sync signals of between 0.5v and 2v, and it don't like added macrovision either. The Scart plasma to VGA box from JS removes the macrovision completely and the composite video, producing the required signals for the monitor.
    Oh and a VGA input usually expects 5 video inputs Red, Green, Blue, Hsync, Vsync (progressive RGB). You can setup the PW6 VGA to take a progressive component 3 video input signal but the JS box sends RGBHV

11. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I run my Sky+ unit into my PWD6 via scart and it works just fine, set the sky unit to RGB and turn on scart control and the difference is quite apparent compared to a composite PAL setting, PQ is excellent.

From what I gather some people have problems getting the most out of PWD6's scart module?, mine seems to handle RGB without the problems, (am I just lucky?)

Spook

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    spook
    no, you just can't tell the diff.

13. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, thanks for all the help.

Final questions (I hope) had a look at JS Technology's website and notice that the RGB to VGA converter is £120 and they don't accept credit cards. Is there anywhere else I can buy one from? In terms of cables will the standard quality VGA cable be sufficient?

Also, where's the best place to get the Quintro box?

Thanks

14. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    AV-sales and Joe@The media factory will happily sell you the kit you require. They have banner-ads running on this forum.

ZedZed

p.s. MAW might also sell the stuff - but I've not seen an advert - MAW - do you advertise on these forums?

15. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to throw something else into the melting pot, Just had a look at JS's site and seen this:

RGB to Plasma VGA Version 2

This unit is also cheaper than the RGB to component converter.

Would this unit give as good, nearly as good or not as good a picture quality (bearing in mind that I'm no AV pro) from my varying sources (DVD, Sky+ etc)on my Panny 42??

every time I think I'm grasping this, it just slips away...... :confused: !!

16. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    A plasma monitor is a RGB VGA device, every conversion you go through lowers quality.
    (sync stripping does not lower quality as RGB is not processed in any way)
    sky to JS to plasma.....no conversion
    dvd (no component out) to JS to plasma....no conversion
    Now if you start converting stuff to component you will have 2 conversions
    say sky to component to rgb to plasma....whats the point in that.
    the only advantage component has, is for progressive signals and component dvd players can output a progressive picture.
    People seem to think component is an inherently QUALITY picture, and it's not, thay are confused by the words PROGRESSIVE, COMPONENT, RGB
    RGB is always the highest quality signal by bandwidth red, green, blue in its' purest form
    COMPONENT is a bandwith limited signal, full quality black and white signal plus red and blue colour information that is limited in bandwidth.
    PROGRESSIVE is a non interlaced picture so much higher quality than interlaced. But they only play this type of signal out of the component outputs of the dvd players, why?, my guess is macrovision restrictions.
    cheapest place for quintro £61
    http://www.tek2.com/beyondhifi/acatalog/B_Tech___BT945_Quintro__Ultimate_Scart_Control.html
    cheapest place for VGA cable £4.50 for 3m belkin pro cable
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=21885
    oops they put the price up from £4.50 to £8, everyone must be ordering them

17. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm going to buy the JS RGB to VGA converter plus VGA cable.

Final question is... had a look at AV-sales website and noticed they also sell a "Master Scart Controller", also from JS Technologies, could I use this instead of the Quintro? I only need to connect Sky+ and a DVD player. Has anyone used one, if so how does the picture quality compare to the Quintro?

Sounds good in theory, i.e. no need to switch between the DVD and Sky as it detects if the DVD is in use and auto switches.

Cheers

18. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah cheers pjclark1..

I've also just bought the Pioneer 575 DVD player which has (progressive scan) via component out. So to get prog scan on the plasma do I connect the DVD player via component to the JS box (does th JS box have component in & Scart in/ Componont out?)

If not I'm mighty confused by what AV sales have told me is due to be shipped out ... (3m rca to VGA lead included)

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the VGA input on the PW6 can be altered in the setup menu to accept
    component input in the VGA socket (3 component to VGA lead). So I assume they are expecting you to do this. But that means you need another VGA input if you use the JS to VGA box.

What input boards do you have for your PW6?

20. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a scart board (as that came free) and will be using the VGA input set up to accept component.

I was thinking about getting the component board (with BNC connections) as its cheaper than the RCA conn board, and better connectivity.

I could then go from the Pioneer DVD to the existing VGA input direct (RCA to VGA for progressive scan), and then go everything else (Sky+, PS2 to Quintro via Scart (RGB) to JS box -JS box to BNC component board via RCA to BNC lead.

This should then leave me with a spare Panny scart board.

Just means I'll have to manually switch the plasma to DVD I guess.

Does that sound as if I'm on the right track?!

(I really don't want to have to try and run a scart lead through the wall cavity (1" max!)

21. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    No, cos the JS box only goes to the VGA connector
    buy a VGA board for the dvd player, they cheap and you already paid for the cable.

22. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the JS box can g o to whatever type terminal input board you want (as long as its component)?

Is it not just a case of having the correct type of cable, ie:RCA (js)to BNC (Panny board) lead?

That would leave me free to run direct from DVD to VGA input, or can only one of the panny inputs be configured as component :confused:

Right, the more i think about this the more its doing my head in, turning what was meant to be an exciting purchase into a pain in the :censored: .

So at the risk of appearing stupid and boring people I'm going to list the kit I have and am trying to connect and the interconnects etc that the helpful guys at AV-Sales have suggested and sold me and should be turning up tomorrow:

Kit:

Panasonic PW6 plasma c/w Scart board (came free)
    Pioneer DV575 DVD player (prog scan)
    Sky +
    PS2
    Sony STB 1070 Digital Amp
    6.1 speaker setup (mission/Tannoy/Kef)

Cables and connection devices recommended and purchased:

Universal wall mount (tilting) - Screen going above fireplace
    Quintro auto switching unit
    JS RCA to VGA converter box
    3m Van Damme RCA to VGA cable (component) - DVD to Plasma (prog scan)
    3m Van Damme RCA to BNC cable (component) - JS to Plasma
    2 x QED AV41 SQart cables (video only) - Sky+ to Quintro & Quintro to JS
    1 QED Qunex P75 digital co-ax cable - DVD to Amp
    3 pairs QED .5m phono to phono leads - DVD (SACD) to Amp
    1 QED Qunex OT Optical digital cable - Sky+ to Amp

Existing cables

Amp to sub cable, all speaker cables (QED), optical to optical for PS2 audio and PS2 to scart lead (to go into Qunitro for PS2 video).

I have to say that I have spent way more that I thought I needed to, to acheive what I want but hope that the above is correct!!

Can anyone :lease: review the above and let me know if there is a better, more cost effective way of acheiving the same level of picture quality for the varying sources as I despeartley need to reatin my sanity and get on with installaing the screen and burying cables in the wall!

Thanks

Justin

23. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "JS RCA to VGA converter box" I don't know where you got this name from,
    it does not exist but this "JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA" does exist and it does not deal in component signals in any way, shape or form. Nor can you plug component cables into it. It only has SCART input & RGBHV or VGA outputs.

this cable
    "3m Van Damme RCA to BNC cable (component) - JS to Plasma"
    will not connect to any item you own or have purchased as the JS to Plasma cable should be a VGA to VGA cable.

You will have no way of connecting your JS box to the plasma screen VGA socket

this cable
    "3m Van Damme RCA to VGA cable (component) - DVD to Plasma (prog scan)"
    will have nowhere to plug in, if you ever get the cable to connect your JS box sorted because they both use the same input. (and there is only 1 VGA input)

I consider all these cables to be a complete waste of money (even if they were the correct items, which they are not)

1) 3m Van Damme RCA to VGA cable (component) - DVD to Plasma (prog scan) nowhere to plug this cable
    2) 3m Van Damme RCA to BNC cable (component) - JS to Plasma should be a VGA to VGA cable £8 from ebuyer
    3) 2 x QED AV41 SQart cables (video only) - Sky+ to Quintro & Quintro to JS £5 ones are just as good
    4) 1 QED Qunex P75 digital co-ax cable - DVD to Amp any phono to phono cable will do 99p
    3 pairs QED .5m phono to phono leads - DVD (SACD) to Amp £2.50 each
    1 QED Qunex OT Optical digital cable - Sky+ to Amp"JS RCA to VGA converter box" TOSlink digital optical audio cables 99p from ebay

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pjclark1 some plasmas (possibly) Panny will accept componet YPbPr Signals on VGA (15pin D-Sub connector) input.... It is a minefield!
    Also JS RGB>VGA and RGB>YUV converter will help you to use either YUV or VGA input for a sky box or any other RGB Scart device, DVD etc...

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    hornydragon
    yes I agree, the panny will allow you to configure the VGA input to component
    and he can plug his quintro into the SCART board he has purchased.

But why has he purchased a JS RGB to VGA box, as he has no cables for it and nowhere to plug it in to on the panny

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Start from the top, Best quality options only Buy 2 panny Component boards one for DVD one for PS2 and RCA>RCA or RCA>BNC (BNC board is a bit cheaper) for DVD for PS2 need a PS2 component cable Monster Joytech etc feed into second board. Then buy either JS RGB>VGA for SKY+ or use scart board you have.

This might not be what you want to read but is the best and most reliable solution,
    Quintro is uneeded and and possible are some of your cables.

If you are wall mounting and want to run minimum cables to screen i suggest you ask me post again as this will otherwise get far too complicated......

Sorry mate HD

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Confusion????
    This is where a better relationship with a dealer that knows about this sort of thing and can sit down and explain and even connect it all for you can be worth spending a few extra £££ to get it right the first time.

28. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies guys, I appreciate your input.

I have just re read my post and I have omitted to add that they have also sold me a board for the Panny with BNC Connectors on, which I was told the JS box would connect to via the 3m VD RCA to BNC cable, and the Quintro would plug into this.

I must admit, my opiginal brief to AV Sales was that I was wall mounting the screen and am limited by the No. of cables I can get in the plasterboard void (1"), hence they suggested running one RCA to VGA cable from the JS box and configuring the VGA input to accept component.

It was then I realised that after drawing it out that the DVD needs to go direct to the screen for progressive scan.

This is where most of the extra kit came in :confused:

I thought I had lokked into this for sometime before ordering items, but obviously not enough!!

I Only have sky+, DVD (which needs to go direct) and PS2, so I feel both of you are correct and that the Quintro is an overkill.

I am still awaiting the gear to arrive, and guess I should be able to return unused/unrequired goods back for a refund if not required?

Its frustrating as I sit here as I obviosly don't know enough about this connection/input lark and am finding it difficult to come up with one straightforward option.

I'm off to re-read your above posts and try to figure it out... :rolleyes:

29. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

To try and clarify how I have had my proposed connections explained to me I have drawn a quick diagram.

Hopefully this will enable you to see what AV Sales have proposed, and hopefully enable me to understand any suggestions you guys have of simplifying things!!

see below:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

J

30. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I understand now
    You have purchased the £200+ double width composite/s-video/component/RGBHV double width terminal board along with a £40 RGBHV cable. Yes this will connect the JS box without problem
    but
    I would have used the VGA terminal board £75 and a £7.50 VGA cable to do exactly the same job for £160 less (but then again, if I were selling the parts..........)