1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections Connections - where to put what.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jon99, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My Toshibas RDXS32 has just arrived and I realise I hven't a clue how to put my bits together. At my age who can wonder? :laugh:

My current configuration is

PACE SKYdigi box >> Panasonic NVHS830 VCR >> JVC AV32R25EK TV
    PACE Digi box also links via SCART diect to TV
    coax links from terrestial aerial daisy chained through all

All are connected by full SCART leads and I also have an S-Video lead from the VCR to the TV

All the bits have two SCART connections.

I thought

Dish > digibox >> VCR >> Tosh. DVD >> TV

with terrestial aerial to digibox coax > VCR coax > DVD coax > TV

what to so with the S-Video lead? leave it where it is or link the Tosh to the TV?

Cheekily :blush: whilst I ask you to ponder this I will go and set it up as above.

Thanks for reading. :)

John

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Hi John, to get the best possible recordings from Sky it would be best to connect the Pace Digibox "TV" scart directly to AV2 on the XS32 and set both to RGB.

Then connect AV1 of the XS32 to the Televisions RGB scart (Ext1?) making sure again that the Tosh output is set to RGB.

Deciding what to do with the VCR would depend on how you intend to use it.
    It could connect to the VCR scart of the Digibox, but this will cause problems if you play a tape while trying to make a DVD recording from Sky.
    Just having it connected by S-Video lead to the Television might be better, and if it has separate scart and s-video din outputs it could also go to a spare input on the XS32 for VHS to DVD dubs.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I would imagine that at some stage you will be transferring old VHS tapes to DVD.
    In which case simply connect the VCR SCART to composite and audio phonos in on your shiny new Tosh RDXS32. Also, still have the RF aeriel connected thru the VCR as well as the RDXS32, just to give you that extra off-air recording option to tape.

Now here's an important bit...

Also connect from your spare scart in your digi box to a spare scart in your TV (If both are S-video compatible, then all the better, but composite will suffice).
    This allows you to still watch Sky if your Tosh RDXS32 is tied up recording something else or in timer mode (if it's like my Pan E100). It's basically a 'temporary bypass' of the Tosh RDXS32 that will come in handy now and again.

4. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thanks guys.

Having crawled around most of the afternoon in the dust behind the setup I have come up for air.

I will try all you suggest. When you say set the PACE to RGB I don't think there are any settings but as there are two SCART sockets I guess one of them must be. I will also try the bypass lead - I had one before but on my new idea I disconnected it.

One of the main reasons for buying the RDXS32 was to record old VHS tapes onto dvd-r. My first attempt has failed miserably :confused: all I get is the sound and a black fuzzy screen.

I will print out your replies and go back to the nether regions of my TV - looks like I might be buying another SCART lead if I can't find one in the garage.

Why is it when one of the d***d leads is going to fall out its always the one I need? Come to that, who designed the things in the first place? Now I'm getting grumpy time for a coffe and some cake I think.

Thanks again - I'll be back if I have problems.

Best regards

John

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    To get RGB from the Pace Digibox "TV" scart...

Press "Services" button
    Select...System Setup,
    Picture Settings
    Video output=RGB

The VCR scart only provides composite video and also doesn't seem to provide a widescreen switching signal. :(

6. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John. Thanks I checked the digibox setup it and it was set to RGB.
    I ended up with the following configuration which allows me to:
    Record off VHS onto DVD, whilst watching TV.
    Record onto VHS from TV whilst viewing a DVD.
    Records TV onto a DVD whilst watching a VHS.
    I do not have any non-copyright DVDs so I cannot check recordings onto VHS from DVD - but I do not see me using this much if at all.
    The configuration is:
    Digibox: VCR-OUT (composite) direct to TV EXT1, TV-OUT (RGB) direct to DVD AV1
    DVD: AV2 to TV EXT3
    VCR: AV1 - not connected
    AV2 - to TV EXT2

VCR: Video/L&R Audio OUT to DVD Video/L&R Audio IN

VCR: S-Video OUT to TV S-Video IN

All appears to work. Comments welcome.

Cheers
    John