1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections, connections, connections

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kolabere, Mar 3, 2005.

1. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which, what goes where?

One major problem for the novices amongst us - is how to connect up our wonderful new AV equipment. It may be all well and good having lots of options, but it can make it baffling :eek: .

So, can you guys shed a little light into my darkness? My apologies if some of this is going to be raking over old ground.

I will shortly have the following:
    Does anyone have any views on the OPTIMUM way to connect this lot together?

I have included the connections available on the LCD, below:-[​IMG]

Any suggestions :lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know nothing about any of this equipment and you don't list the components in your PC, but from a brief persual of the specs then it seems a 'given' you'll use a digital audio connection from the PC to the Teac.

I'm confused by that graphic. I've never seen a 'DVI-D' connection use a 15-pin D-sub, are you sure that's right? Clearly DVI is the best connection type to use if you can.

'Fraid I've no idea what options you may be thinking of for the aerial cable as I don't have and know nothing about TV tuners.

3. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    KraGorn, by digital audio do you mean SPDIF or is that different? [I did warn you that I was a novice ;) ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

As I understand it the Artisan has the following in/outputs:

1) Digital Optical and Coaxial OUT;
    2) RCA (Phono) OUT;
    3) RCA (Phono) IN;
    4) Firewire;
    5) IR Blaster lead ports;

6) S-video OUT;
    7) DVI OUT;

8) FM IN & Pass through (Twin Digital Tuner Card);

9) 7.1 channel audio OUT, Mic and Line IN;

10) (Modem -not included)

11) USB2
    12) RJ45
    13) VGA OUT
    14) Printer
    15) Serial RS232
    16) PS2 mouse & keyboard

Is that at all helpful, or have I just muddied the waters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The graphic is direct from Toshiba's website: http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...ecinematv-stasiaplasmalcd-27wl46?opendocument CLICK "Connections".

I do know what to do with my aerial cable - in no small way due to jonsayers on this forum :smashin: . You can either connect the aerial lead direct to the digital tuner and then use a "run though" to the second tuner, or, the preferred method, is to use a Y-splitter from the aerial lead to the tuner cards. (With the second preferred method I am not sure whether the attenuator should be removed - ANY THOUGHTS?)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, it seems they don't use a standard connector for their DVI-D input, presumably they supply a converter. I do note though that their DVI-D isn't HDCP compliant, that makes it useless for nigh on all current and future DVD players etc. I'm afraid: PCs are okay though so hopefully the Artisan does sport a DVI connector.

Yes, S/PDIF is digital audio, either in COAX or OPTICAL form (the latter is sometime referred to as a TOSLINK, not sure why).

I don't use PC-based tuners I'm afraid so can't answer about them though in the case of "it may be needed, it may not" category of questions I always believe in trial and error. ;)

5. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    KraGorn, thanks for your response - but can you untangle this lot?

The Toshiba had no leads.

The TEAC has the following, in addition to the speaker wires:
    Coaxial cord;
    RCA Cord;
    RCA-3.5mm Cord.

I hope that helps.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry but I'm not sure what it is you're asking me here.

Given your listing of the Artisan's connections above and those of the Tosh then as I see it you'll use a standard DVI->DVI cable into the DVI->D-Sub converter connected to the DVI sockect on the Tosh.

You haven't listed the connections on the Teac but you knew what I meant by S/PDIF so I assume it has one of those, in which case you'll use either the optical or coax digital audio output from the PC to the Teac (coax is preferable but optical is fine too).

What other aspects are you unsure of?

7. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :clap: :clap: bullseye - that's exactly what I wanted to know.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah right. :)

I thought you were asking something else and I couldn't see what that could be. Enjoy your Home Cinema, the Artisan looks to be a very nice Media PC.

9. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry I'm so green on this, every time I think that I understand, then something different occurs to me.
    Is this COAX the same as us simpletons use to connect the old tele to an aerial?

So this is TWO cables linking PC to LCD.

Am I finally getting there?

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The coax connector is also known as a 'phono' when used for analog audio connections, the type with a metal shell inside of which is a coloured plastic ring, for analog audio these are usually red and white, for digital audio it's often orange.

No, one cable and the converter you got with the Artisan I think, you quoted jonsayers as saying "DVI -> D-Sub Converter". Plug one end of the DVI-D into the DVI connector on the PC, connect this converter to the other end of the cable and then into the D-sub 'DVI' connector on the Tosh.

11. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    KraGorn, you've been very patient :smashin: .

Time now for me to go and part with some cash, so I'm ready when the Artisan finally arrives.

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My pleasure. :)

It can be daunting when first embarking down this road, so many different types of cable, connectors, names for the same thing. :eek:

You're certainly getting a very desirable HTPC, Elonex have come up with quite a configuration there. Have fun.

13. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I enclose a summary of further PMs KraGorn and myself. My thanks for his time and patience :smashin:

Re: Digital Coax
    I have just been reading about Mark Grant's Digital Coax cables and also a recommendation of yours for them. I think you ordered some.
    Are these the same as you mentioned above?

I will stick with the "bog-standard" supplied with TEAC for now and see what the quality is like. To be honest I don't have a great 'ear' and so might never notice the difference. However, my wife and son are both musicians and probably will!

Re: DVI Cable
    I gather D (digital) and I (integrated) although 'different' can be connected straight through, no funny connectors, but I need to be reassured!

I'm also assuming that I'm correct in believing that DVI is the better path, than say VGA, component or S-video.

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a note that my last recommendation is based on the fact that the cable length needed is around 2m .. if it were 10m I'd not be recommending a Lindy cable.

I hope you enjoy your home cinema system .. wonder how long it'll be before upgraditis sets in. :D