1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections and speaker settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dazed&confused, Apr 24, 2005.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Now I'm really confused, having just bought a Yamaha S1500 dvd player that also plays DVD-A and SACD.

It is my understanding that I need to use the discrete 6 channel analogue outputs for DVD-A and SACD.

1) But am I better off also using the multi-channel analogue output for watching movies and listening to regular CD's, or should I use the digital output for this and let the amplifier do the decoding?

The manual recommends multi-channel audio for maximum performance from DVD-A and SACD, but also says use these outputs to "enjoy surround sound with no sampling frequency limitation".

2) The manual actually seems to contradict itself. At the beginning it says "To enjoy DTS Digital Surround plyaback, an external 5.1 channel decoder must be connected to the digital output of the player". Later on it says of using the analogue outputs "In multi-channel mode , the unit will perform DTS decoding, Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding,.....". Am I missing a point here?

3) My understanding is further complicated by the fact that the dvd player also has settings for speaker distance and volume, etc. Can I ignore these (leave them all on the default settings) and just adjust the settings on my amp, and does this depend on whether I use multi-channel or digital output?

4) In SACD mode, the dvd player allows adjustment of the subwoofer "filter slope" as well as "cut-off frequency". I presume cut-off frequency is the same as crossover but what is "filter slope"?

I would be very grateful for any help. Thanks.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    1) Try both and see what you prefer. I usually let the amp do the decoding because it gives more flexibility eg size, volumes, bass management etc.

2) Again, it's simply saying that both options are feasible.

3) These only affect the multi channel analogue output and are important adjustments for SACD/DVD-A sound quality hence it's worth adjusting them

4) Not really sure on this, mine doesn't have any such adjustments but they sound useful!

...PJ