1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connections advice please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by staxdoobie, May 7, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    This is my first time posting to the forums, but hopefully you won't need to speak too slowly for me to understand.

My question is simply this:

MY new Toshiba RPTV (which I have configured so dark I can barely see it, for fear of screen burn) has just one RGB scart input, which is currently occupied by the Sky Digibox. My Tosh DVD was connected, via Scart, to AV3 until about ten minutes ago, when I discovered that setting the DVD player to output S-Video and changing AV3 on the TV to accept S-Video provided a noticably better picture.

My question is this: would I be able to connect the DVD to the VCR Scart on the Digibox, which would then be connected to the RGB-capable scart on the TV, to get proper RGB from both sources and obtain a better quality DVD picture? Would this method degrade the quality of the Sky picture I currently have? Or am I just better sticking with a direct S-Video connection from DVD to TV?

Hope this makes sense.
    Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model DVD player have you got? (if it has Component instead use this as it will free up SCART AV1)- which then can be used for RGB on the DTT box, and VCR into AV2 or AV3.

What are your settings on the TV?- my Tosh 42" RP is set....

40 contrast
    50 brightness
    -35 colour
    0 tint

contrast is the CRT killer, ~40 is safe.

3. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Nathan, thanks for the swift reply.

My Tosh DVD is the SD3109, so no component out unfortunately.

As for my RPTV, contrast is about 20 (!) and brightness 37. To be honest it's fine, and not far off what I'd have it on anyway. I'm sure it's just an initial paranoia which will subside in time.

Just wish the thing had two RGB scarts!

What are your views with regards to the S-Video query, given I'm without component outs on the DVD player?

4. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Also, Nathan (sorry to harass you like this!)

When originally looking for info on the Tosh RPTV, I noticed from one of your earlier posts that you say yours has a blue blooming down the left-hand side and a slight pink tinge down the right. I can detect a very VERY slight pink down the right on mine. Just wondered if these 'problems' were there from the start, or have they developed over time? And will they get worse?

Thanks.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding S-Video/RGB I have no experience using these two, nor about the digibox/routing method. I use Component directly to the TV. I'll be getting freeview sometime so that'll got to AV1 RGB Scart.

Yes slighly pink pinge, not sure if these small problems get worse. The proper term is called "Lens Striping"

The blue blooming I think is "Schempluge" the far left, 1 cm in is slightly out of focus with the blue, I think the blue lens needs to be angeld slightly. When I get some Duvatyne to line the interior I'll try and adjust the B lens angle.

Have you performed the focus adjustment & service level convergence? These are the biggest PQ tweaks...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/michaeltlv/lenstriping.html

here's two decent sites...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/generaltweaks.html

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/Theater/ToshibaTips.htm

btw I have the service manual for the 42PW23P.

6. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    "The blue blooming I think is "Schempluge"... when I get some Duvatyne to line the interior I'll try and adjust the B lens angle..."

Presumably you're speaking in code! I don't know what this means, but thanks for your advice!

I haven't yet performed any of the service level adjustments you mention. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but knowing me I'll end up breaking my TV like a big twit. If the subsequent improvements are significant, however, I'd be very tempted indeed. But this must surely invalidate the warranty - and I plumped, for once, for the 5-year extended warranty in response to advice on these forums.

Have to say, I'm extremely pleased with the 42PW23P. If, in time, I can lay aside fears induced by the things I've been reading on here, I'll hopefully be able to enjoy it fully! It seems that if it's not problems with blooming, it's convergence. And then there's geometry to worry about. Not to mention screen burn. Oy oy oy, it's a minefield out there...

Thanks for your help.

But hang on, I still don't know how to connect my DVD player....

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the 42pw23 tosh and have the dvd connected to both RGB and S-vid........RGB connected so the kids have not got to play around with the remotes to watch a film and S-vid for when i want to watch a film....the player is a pio 656.....i have noticed with my setup that RGB has more red than the S-vid and the component is just slightly darker than S-vid, but just as sharp.

And yes you can put your player through the digi box....before i got the 656, which has scart pass through i had the dvd going through the video and digi box ( dvd connected to socket 2 on vid....vid connected to digi box...digi box connected to tv).

I doubt you will find much diff between the RGB and S-vid pic, unless you get to much red like i get.....i think it is something to do with the tv rather than the player...i remember reading about the tosh tv's and S-vid being the better connection to them, a few years ago.....i thought they would of sorted it by now, but obviously not.

8. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Chris,

I tried routing the DVD player through the Digibox and onto RGB AV1 on the TV, and set both sources to output RGB, but when I played a DVD, the colours were all wrong. Clarity and sharpness were fine, but Jaws had gone all psychadelic - blue faces, red skies, etc.

Confused by this, as I'm sure I had everything set up correctly. Looks like S-Video may be the best bet after all.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What digibox have you got, I have one of the new grundig ones and it turns all the colours upside down, ie blue bits are red and red bits are blue!! Having to use S-Video at this time

Adam

11. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, sounds like the problem I'm having. All the colours are wrong. It's a Grundig Digibox. Do you mean to tell me that if I'd been given any other manufacturer's digibox I'd have been OK? Guess I'm just lucky, huh?

12. acs1

acs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PACE one I had before worked fine, there are people here who have had the same problem and it was just a case of swapping over the red and blue pins in the Scart lead, I must admit I have not done this. I did have a go at Sky but this got me no where!

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i got the grundig digi box and the pass through works ok on mine....although it is prob the old style box....i've had this one for a couple of years now and it was used when i got it....it was a replacement one from sky when my amstrad one got zapped in a storm.