1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gabbiano, Apr 13, 2003.

1. gabbiano

gabbiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be having a Meridian 598DS DVD Player and a Meridian 568.2MM very soon. I'll feed the 598 into the 568.2; but since I have only an integrated amplifier, can I connect the 568.2 into my Sansui integrated amplifier?
    Thank you.

2. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .........???

3. gabbiano

gabbiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I meant whether I can connect a pre-amp to an integrated amp

4. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry im not sure, better let someone else handle this

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gabbiano,

Welcome to the Forums.

A lot depends on what else you have and what you are after.

What you have with the two Meridians is the core of a Home Cinema system for playing DVDs, with surround sound cinema effect: typically 5 speakers and a sub-woofer. An integrated amp will only give you power for the front two speakers.

ditton

6. gabbiano

gabbiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ditton. What I meant is that the Sansui I have is NOT a power amplifier but an integrated one. What I care at the present time is that I do not make any demage by connecting the 568.2 to the integrated Sansui amp.

7. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An integrated amp can also be used as a power amp in the sense that yes you can connect AV preouts to its inputs to provide power to drive your main (or other surround) speakers. That's what about 95% of the forum users here seem to be doing (based on posts) when they value CD sound quality! So CD gets fed straight to integrated amp, AV gets fed via AV amp to video/av/aux inputs of integrated amp and on to main speakers. It's pretty standard ...

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think that would be OK. That way you would get the stereo effect from the DVD. You can usually use the DVD menu to set that to stereo, rather than 5.1.

ciao

ditton

... to add some more to Jonathon's post, that is what I have done below: I connect the (Front left/right) pre-outs from the AVR2802, using phono leads, to the Aux input of the AudioLab, and set the AudioLab to 'power'. Not sure whether you could set 'power' on the stereo amp that you have, and not sure that your Meridian has a pre-amp.

from
    http://www.frankharvey.co.uk/meridian568.htm

it looks as though you have one really neat AV processor though. << search for green-with-envy smilie >>

9. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the very high quality of your equipment you should seek

a) very high quality advice on what to add to get the best from your system
    b) very high quality assistance on installation/set-up.

I cannot supply either.

With some additional detail about your Sansui integrated amp, I may be able to help a little more. But let's see whether we can interest some of the experts on these Forums to give you that 'very high quality' advice/assistance.

[Having visited Sicily twice last year, I can recommend it to any such 'expert'.]

ciao

ditton

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The guys have hit the nail on the head...

Take the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT audio outputs form Meridian Pre and feed them to the AUX input of Sansui. Then set the Sansui volume to about mid point and use the Meridan to adjust volume. Don't use volume on Sansui and Meridian together. Just set Sansui to a suitable spot then mark this for home cinema use.

Gordon

11. gabbiano

gabbiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much. You've all been most kind and helpful. Now I know that by connecting the Meridian 568.2 to my Sansui integrated amp I'll not do any damaging. Incidentally, the Sansui - which I've been using for quite a long time- is going to be replaced by a power amplifier.
    Best wishes.

12. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are very welcome. And I'm impressed by all that Meridian kit. If you want to keep us this sense of style, have a look at the power buy section for the Gallo speakers. I have the entry level Micro balls, but it looks as though you might be able to afford better - the Dues even.

Thanks for the PM.

ditton

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With that bit of quality kit I would recommend a system comprising of M&K S-85's all-round, plus a subwoofer.