• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connection

stevie smirnoff

Novice Member
Question; if I'm bi-wiring my Cambridge 851w amp do I have the amp set to balanced or unbalanced? Can someone explain the difference to me please. Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Balanced is a wiring scheme normally used to reduce interference when you have long cables running between devices - it is mostly used in Live Event and Pro studio gear which utilise XLR connectors.

It is not relevant in terms of Bi-wiring your Loudspeakers - it is only relevant between you Processor and your Power Amp.

With you Stereo Power Amp you can use Balanced XLR Inputs from a suitably equipped Pre Amp/Processor and Balanced XLR Outputs to a second Power Amp (again only if it has Balanced XLR Inputs).

Bi-wiring has marginal (if any) effect on your Loudspeakers - Bi-amping (using Balanced or Un-balanced Interconnects) is very worthwhile if you have a second power Amp.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom