Connection to plasma - Help

S

stevedingle

I currently have a denon A1 dvd player which cost a fortune a few years ago and so cannot justify replacing. It does not have HDMI output so am I right in assuming that component is best for connecting to a plasma?

I am thinking of buying the th42px70, and so does anyone know if the panny up sampling works on signals from this input, or is it only on the hdmi input?

jetinder

I currently have a denon A1 dvd player which cost a fortune a few years ago and so cannot justify replacing. It does not have HDMI output so am I right in assuming that component is best for connecting to a plasma?

Unless you have HD-DVD or Blue Ray not many DVD players have HDMI output, its all mainly scart.

If you have a scart socket you can use that to connect it, never used component for connecting to a plasma so i cant comment on it being good or bad.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
YEs component would be best. ALL progressive displays will have upscalers built into them to upscale the signal to, in this case, 1024x768. If they didn't then the picture would appear in a very small 720x576 sized box!!!! Panasonic upscaling has got better of recent, I wouldn't worry about rushing out to buy a new deck

S

stevedingle

Thanks, I used to be a lot more up on all of thsi a few years ago, but only just started looking at things again as a result of moving house and havign some money toget a flat screen with, instead of my huge panny 36" crt.

Cybermanc

Standard Member
I have the Toshiba SD370e and it is cheap at £50 AND has HDMI AND upscales too.

Picture is very good and it's not a lot of notes for a better quality picture is it??

I have the 37PX70 so it should be equally as good for you too.

Rainfall

Thanks, I used to be a lot more up on all of thsi a few years ago, but only just started looking at things again as a result of moving house and havign some money toget a flat screen with, instead of my huge panny 36" crt.

Hi Steve I'm much like you, I too was up on electronic equipment, but I went ahead and brought a new (now I know this is too small) 37" LCD and DVD player that upscales via its HDMI to the LCDs HDMI, for sound I have connected the DVD player via Coaxial to my old (cost a futune) Yamaha DSP-A2 Amp. I will buy a new one in another year or so when I buy a new 50" 1080p screen.

cheers Steve.

btsam

your denon a1 is still a great dvd spinner, i wouldn't rush out and buy a new one just yet.

i have a tosh e1 which as well as playing hddvd's also upscales normal dvd's

however

my old phillips 963sa (£400 4 years ago!!) running via component, still does a better job with normal dvd than the new boy

stick with the denon and grab a component lead - just bear in mind you'll need an audio cable as well

regards

s

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
I have the Toshiba SD370e and it is cheap at £50 AND has HDMI AND upscales too.

Picture is very good and it's not a lot of notes for a better quality picture is it??

I have the 37PX70 so it should be equally as good for you too.

The Denon will trounce, hard, all over the picture from the Tosh!!! HDMI and upscaling is only as good as the signal being delivered to the processing chip, and the quality of the processing chip itself. The Denon is a £2,500 20 kilo THX Ultra rate behemoth!!!! It has a top draw mpeg decoder, SiL504 deinterlacing with upgraded memory, a bank of burr-brown dacs for audio (inc DVD-A), absolutely perfect voltage coming out of it's oversampled analogue outputs, and a power supply the size of my house. HDMI and upscaling make very little difference here, just a good component cable and some careful setup required

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom