1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection spaghetti problems - Help !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simon Fitz, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

How best to connect up my projector to my existing system(s) is proving to be an area where a lack of forethought on my part is becoming something of a headache.

For DVD - fine, I have no problems using the S-Video output on my DVD player since it was previously unused.

The problem arises when I try to connect up my other sources, i.e.
    • NTL Digital TV Decoder (1 scart output only)
    • VCR (with 2scarts, i.e. NTL digital & output to adaptor)
    • Cable TV Co-Ax (connected to the VCR)
    • PS2 (connected to Scart adaptor)
    • Home Cinema Audio system (conected directly to VCR, DVD & PS2)
      [/list=a]
      At the moment I use my VCR to separate out the sound from the Digital TV & Cable for the HC audio amp. The resulting VCR video output is then connected to a 3 to 1 scart adaptor connected to my "normal" TV.

I have no obvious place to connect in my projector when, for example, I want to watch a football match on Digital TV or use the PS2 ... that is without continually having to disturb all the other connections.

I'm sure there are plenty of solutions to this but which one is best and where can I get the necessary kit ?

Any suggestions ? Do you know of any good online retailers of adaptors with lots of options ?

Thanks,

Simon

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    For many, the best/easiest/simplest way to wire it all up, is to use the Amp/receiver as your AV switching centre. Assuming that it has the relevant sockets/features.

Purists believe that routing video signals via an amp in this way will degrade them. Whilst this is undoubtedly true, the extent to which it occurs is, for many, insignificant.

Here is how mine goes:

DVD player: Video, Svideo, Digital Audio to Amp.
    LD player: Video, Svideo and Audio L&R to Amp
    Set Top Box: Video, Svideo, Audio L&R to Amp
    Second DVD player: Video, SVideo, Digital Audio to Amp
    SVHS VCR: Video, SVideo, Audio L&R to AND from Amp
    Cassette Deck: Audio L&R to AND from Amp
    CD Player: Audio L&R to Amp.

TV: Video, Svideo FROM amp
    Projector: Video, Svideo FROM amp

plus:
    DVD connected directly to Projector for component
    Set Top Box connected directly to TV (SCART)
    Set Top Box connected directly to VCR (SCART).

plus, of course RF (Aerial) from wall > Set top box > VCR > TV

3. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice ... we really need a good FAQ for this subject !

4. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most decent amps have s-video and composite video switching. Better amps even have component switching. The Denon 3803 (I think that's the right number) even has s-video to component conversion. I don't know what the quality is like, but it does mean you only have to have a single component cable from the amp to the pj. Oh - and if you do decide to go for component between dvd and pj (highly reccomended if your player supports it - and if it doesn't, now might be the time for an upgrade - pjs really benefit from prog scan) don't go for the really cheap stuff. Cheap stuff might be fine if you only need a meter to hook a DVD to a plasma, but if you need 8 meters or so to get to your pj, cheap cable just ain't going to cut it. Oh - and it my experiance s-video really drops off badly over about 5 meters.

However, without some kind a video switching you are going to be very buggered - things like the PS2 will be a real pain - you can buy a PS2 s-video lead, but it will only be a couple of meters long and the same goes for Sky and the VCR - you can buy a scart to composite cable and then mabe a nice long composite to composite cable and hook them together with a little connector, but it's going to mean wires everywhere and lots of fiddling about when you want to change sources.... :(

5. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3803 solved my problems before they started. One lead out to the projector not four and the upconversion is very good. The sound is also very pleasant.

6. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cool. I've been quite interested in that amp. The 2803 looked nice too, but doesn't have the component conversion...

7. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't forget that the PS2 can output component as well.

You need a special cable, but this may be another option for you.

8. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah and once again, he'll have the length problem unless he gets some form of component switching - GC is the same. The only one that is any good is the Xbox component kit, as it allows you to replace the 'normal' length component cable with one of your own, should you wish.

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Should have made myself a bit clearer.

Assuming he gets a suitable amp that can switch component sources, then using the component output from the PS2 is a viable option for him. Something like the aforementioned 2803 for example.

10. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice...

.. stratgely enough it didn't occur to me to use the Video connections on my DSP processor ... I am using a Yamaha DSP E800 connected via an Arcam Alpha 9 in power amp mode to my mains ... lovely performance I completely recommended it !!! Especailly with a set of Castle Harlechs, a Castle sub and a B&W CC6 as a centre ... and don't scrimp on the interconnect cables either !!!

Anyway...., I digress, the Yamaha does the trick aggregating the component output from the PS2 and (using in-line breakout conection on the VCR input to the scart switch box) the "broadcast" component signal ... It's probably not the neatest solution but it works for now ... even with a 10M cheap phono cable run to the projector the resulting picture is pretty good ! (I was using available materials!!!).

Having said that I have a mess of cables in my living room which is really pissing off the girlfriend !! .. to be honest I don't blame her ...

I'll need to invest in a switch box with a component output later and a good set of phono cables ... unless someone has a better (... and for the sake of peace in our times .. NEATER) idea ?

Regards,

Simon

11. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I currently have a composite (for VHS/Sky), a S-video (GameCube, PS2) and a component (DVD, Xbox) cables running from my amp to the pj and I've had to run them through the ceiling to keep them out the way.....

12. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how did you get S-Video from the PS2 ? ...

13. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, well you could use any one of the cables that give you this option.

The PS2 can output Composite video, S-Video, RGB and Component. The trick is to get the right cable for what you need. Sony make an official one, but other companies (such as Blaze & Logic 3) also mak their own.

14. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yup - I just bought a PS2 s-video cable - Sony themselves make one, but 3rd parties also supply their versions. Same goes for component, if you want that (although there isn't a vast plus for PS2 as only a very few games support prog scan, unlike the Xbox, where 95% of games support it). The only cable that is tricky to get is a GC component cable, as it is only available in Japan right now, although import shops stock them and they are universal with any region machine.