1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection solutions (vga lead etc)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Spindle, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically on a tv budget originally £800 for RP now £1400 ish for Plasma.
    Seen Toshiba 42wp37 at Richer sounds with only VGA and interested in connection solutions to Teac 550DVD/surround (RCA or Svideo in/out) a Sony RDR-GX3 DVD recorder (Scart RCA in/out and component out) and an Amstrad sky digibox (RS232 or Scart)
    Firstly is RS232 VGA? If so is there a lead and where would i get one from to convert the plasma VGA to any of the above. What picture quality would i expect from this?
    Secondly if i had to buy an input board should i just go for a single component board?
    Thirdly anyone used the Daewoo Media Tuner Box (RS £200)
    Finally are the panasonic boards a straight fit. PW5/PW6?
    Thanks in anticipation, there's no substitute for enthusiasts knowledge as most electrical retail staff seem to be lacking this and its a godsend when you get one who actually knows what their talking about. Unfortunately i haven't found one yet! (probably coz they get paid peanuts!)

2. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Spindle

RS232 is a 9 pin Serial connector - you connect a PC or Control system to the display via this connection to enable hard wired remote control of the Display; its NOT a video port.

Unless there's a compelling reason to stick with your indicated kit list I'd be looking at a more compatible line up of source kit - why a DVD player and a DVD Recorder when your on a tight budget.

Ditch the AV Processor/DVD Player and go with a decent AV Receiver + DVD Recorder + 5:1 Speaker set-up - ensure the DVD Recorder has RGB In for your Digibox and if it has YUV out then you require the YUV 'Component' Board in the Display.

Best regards

Joe

4. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.
    The list is what I have accumulated to date apart from the plasma which i hope to get tomorrow. The rs232 is on the sky box and seems of no use to me but I have read of others connecting via tha vga on the plasma, which if viable i could use to a svideo or scart on the teac. Is this connection ok as far as picture quality is concerned and in fact is there a lead available?

5. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    horny dragon(a man in the know) recommended i use a rgb to vga convertor from js technologies(£126) to connect sky to the vga port on a pw7, it also apparently gives the best picture. so all you nned is scart in to convertor, vga lead out and into your panel.

6. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks philthy.
    I take it the converter is a box rather than a lead if so does it support other connections? Whats js technologies website address?
    My other option would be something like a media tuner box which supports various connections in and one out to the VGA on the plasma. Richer sounds do one (daewoo) anyone used one?

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    www.js-technology.com We also appear in the top banner now and again!

I believe that the Toshibas are essentially the same as Panasonic screen, so using the VGA route should give you excellent results. Joe's advice is spot on as usual. But also, if you can get the extra 5 inches....

All the best,

Dr John Sim.