Connection question, Soundbar Set Up

mabell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently in the middle of a renovation and the electrician is in next week. As recommended, I am wiring everything back to a central point.

I will need a new tv and would like a sound bar. As the sky box will be at the node zero, do I need to run a long optical lead to where the sound bar will be?

Or is it just a case of connecting the tv and sound bar up and have the tv pass the sound through? So sky box to tv, tv to sound bar, 2 hdmi leads?

Slightly confused as the connection options seem to vary between optical and hdmi on soundbars. Thanks for the help!

I would run a long optical lead and/or HDMI lead from the Sky box to the soundbar position as some makes/models of TV won't pass-through Dolby D.

It would be worth checking out the various TVs that you're interested in to see which models will route multichannel audio via HDMI. For example, both my Sony panels do, as I believe will Samsungs. Select a couple of likely candidates then ask the manufacturers. Ideally, routing via HDMI is a better bet, as optical is limited to carrying the older codecs such as Dolby Digital and DTS. It won't carry stuff like DTS-HD, Dolby Digital+, etc.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom