Connection query

grandsire02

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have Sky+ connected to my TV. I am about to get a Panasonic DMRES10 DVD recorder to enable me a) to download material recorded on the Sky+ hard disc, and b) to play DVD’s through the TV. What is the correct connection configuration for this arrangement? Any advice on this question will be much appreciated.

The normal setup is to connect the Sky+ box to the recorder and the recorder to the TV.

The recorder will pass through Sky programs when in standby for normal watching. To record from the Sky HDD set the recorder to record from its scart input (L1 on my Pioneer 530) and either use the Sky + COPY feature or just play the Sky recordings.

grandsire02 said:
I currently have Sky+ connected to my TV. I am about to get a Panasonic DMRES10 DVD recorder to enable me a) to download material recorded on the Sky+ hard disc, and b) to play DVD’s through the TV. What is the correct connection configuration for this arrangement? Any advice on this question will be much appreciated.
Pretend the DVD recoder is a VCR. They are the same thing - with different recording media.

Heinz121 said:
Pretend the DVD recoder is a VCR. They are the same thing - with different recording media.

No they are not. A VCR will only support composite video, or s-video on an S-VHS machine, whereas a DVD recorder will use RGB. This requires that the recorder is connected differently to how you would connect a VCR.

this is what i have done......

Sky+ box connected to TV by Scart and to DRMES10 by Scart
DRMES10 to TV by Scart.
Sky+ is also connected to my AV receiver by S-Video so i can watch it on my Projector (AV receiver upconverts the signal to component to go to projector)

so if your TV has two scart inputs, i recommend this, that way you get RGB all round :)
unless you use one of your TV scarts to output stereo sound to an av receiver, in which case you might wanna check to see if the TV has normal Left and Right phono outputs as well and use those instead.....or just use the phono left and right from Sky+ and DRMES10 to your receiver....

lotsa wires :)
heh

Phantom Phixer said:
No they are not. A VCR will only support composite video, or s-video on an S-VHS machine, whereas a DVD recorder will use RGB. This requires that the recorder is connected differently to how you would connect a VCR.

how is it required to set it up differently?

Sky+, VCR, TV (assuming like most modern TV's it has two scart inputs with two AV channels)

Sky+ Scart to VCR
Sky+ Scart to TV
VCR Scart to TV

thats exactly the same as what i do with my DRMES10 as my post above explained........i think you missed the word 'pretend' in the guys thread you quoted.....he wasnt inferring they are EXACTLY the same things with just different names....he was simply implying to set them up the same way using Scarts.........then you can use one link from sky to TV for watching....or one link from DRMES10 to TV for watching.....no need to watch sky via your DRMES10.....apart from in the beginning when monitoring to make sure its started recording, and when finishing recording to finalise the disc etc..

oh and of course if you still have a conventional aerial RF lead for terrestrial analogue TV you can just plug that straight in to the TV's RF input so you can watch something while the sky box copies to DVD on the DRMES10 :)
(or same via a freeview box first, but unless your TV has 3 scart sockets you can only use the RF output from the freeview box....unless it has S-video output and your TV has s-video input.....or if your lucky component....lol)

I assume you have not read the manual supplied with your recorder.

The correct way to connect is :

Sky+ TV scart - DVD recorder input scart

DVD recorder output scart to TV

That way you get RGB in all circumstances, with your connection you do not.

The Sky VCR scart will only support composite video so by your method you will only record composite not RGB.

You do not have watch TV via the recorder. When the recorder is in standby it pass through the Sky signal unaffected.

Phantom Phixer said:
That way you get RGB in all circumstances, with your connection you do not.

The Sky VCR scart will only support composite video so by your method you will only record composite not RGB.

You do not have watch TV via the recorder. When the recorder is in standby it pass through the Sky signal unaffected.

Spot on Phantom Mixer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney said:
Spot on Phantom Mixer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

Phantom....

I currently have my set up the way Knyght_byte says it should be done

sky tv out - av1 of tv(for viewing sky)
sky vcr out - dvd recorder decoder in
dvd out - av4 tv in(for q link recording)
dvd comp - comp in tv(for viewing dvd)

I find that when i power up my pv500 it auto switches to av4 not av1 which i prefer to use for viewing!!
Im wondering ,is this due to the fact that they are Q Linked ???? Or could there be a faulty scart switching pin to blame preventing my pv500 from switching to av1!!??
Im currently in the process of setting up a harmony remote (headache x10)
My problem is with the av switching between dvd and sky viewing!!
If i connected my set up the way you advise would it make things easier for my harmony to control???
Would there be any loss of PQ when sharing the same tv input???

Please help as i am about to chuck my harmony out the window.........

Cheers

Easiest to answer :- There should no loss of quality when watching Sky as the signal is passed through unaffected. There would be an increase in quality of recording as you can presently only record from Sky in composite video. You would be able to record in RGB.

I suspect, though do not know from experience, that you are right about the QLink causing you to start in AV4.

I know little of the Harmony but I expect re-connecting would make no difference.

Phantom man, could I be cheeky and ask you to take a look at my Sky RGB thread if you have 2 mins. and everything's phixed up in this thread? Do you charge by the hour?

Phantom

I have reconnected your way but now have problems with auto aspect on my pv500!
Could i be losing aspect switching through my dvdr??

Are you losing aspect switching when the 530 is is standby?

The 530 has problems with aspect switching from Sky boxes. I only see this on recordings, where I have to manually select widescreen. I expect this would show if watching Sky via the 530, as opposed to using the scart paas through.

Not tha Phantom Fixer needs anybody to back him up but i am going to anyway

I recently bought the very same dvd recorder as graqndsire02 is about to and connected everything up the way the manual states.
All i can say is do not do it the way the manual states, do it the way PF says
The manual states to connect the SKY boxes vcr output to the dvd recorder input for recording thus only recording in composite
Now why would anybody want to do that :thumbsdow

Do it this way

SKY+ TV Scart - DVD recorder Scart input - DVD recorder output to RGB input on TV

Enable both RGB on Sky and dvd recorder and away you go - this is the only way to record onto dvdr from sky in RGB.

Shaun

In actual fact if you look at page 16 of the manual it says to connect the satellite boxes AV connector to the 530. There is no mention of a VCR connector, or a Sky box for that matter.

Many people seem to be mis-reading this section of the manual.

Phantom Phixer

I am refering to the manual for the Panasonic DMR-ES10 like the original poster asked about not the 530.
Page 16 in the manual is about Recording television programmes not connecting the recorder this is on page 7
Where it states if you have a sky+ box as well as the recorder to connect to the tv you connect the AV2 input on the dvd recorder to the VCR output on the sky box.

This as you and i have pointed out is the wrong way to go if you want to record from sky in RGB. As the vcr output on the sky box only outputs composite not RGB

havnt had the chance to read my manuals (ok, to actually find them...lol..too many boxes of manuals and hifi/PC mags!!..heh) but i was wondering if possibly the new PVR3 Sky+ might have RGB on both outputs? reason i ask is because it would make sense given how most people are now buying DVD-Recorders.........if it doesnt fair do's....just thought i'd ask in case it was only the previous Sky+ boxes that didnt have RGB on both....

It would make sence to allow RGB through the AV2 (vcr) output connection on the v3 Sky+ boxes but i am not sure if they have.
I have the v2 sky+ pace box and that certainly hasn't, doing it the way we have mantioned is a perfectly acceptable way(the only way to record in RGB) especially if your display only has one RGB input, as the RGB signal doesn't lose anything going through the dvd recorder first instead of directly to the tv (well my eyes can't distinguish any difference)

Shaun

These forums are great i think they have answered my question

currently i have Sky + tv out to panasonic tv scart 1. When sky is switched on AV1/RGB appears on the TV.

My sky VCR out goes to Scart input on Panasonic DMRES10 DVD recorder then Av out on DVD recorder to AV2 on TV.

I dont think my AV2 on TV is RGB as just AV2 appears and not AV2/RGB.

If you switch between AV2 and AV1 the AV1 is more defined i assume that this is because it is RGB

So reading this thread i will connect Sky + TV out to DVD recorder and DVD recorder to AV1/RGB as i want to record in RGB and watch all DVD's in RGB as it seems daft not to. Am i correct in this. Also will the TV auto switch to scart when i switch sky on.

One last question - A other TV in my house is connected via RF lead to sky box outou 2 so i watch Sky + in the bedroom. If Sky goes through the dvd recorder and sky is switched on so my GF can watch real time upstairs will i be able to watch a DVD downstairs or will it just either switch to the DVD or SKY.

Many thanks

G Smith

gfsracing said:
One last question - A other TV in my house is connected via RF lead to sky box outou 2 so i watch Sky + in the bedroom. If Sky goes through the dvd recorder and sky is switched on so my GF can watch real time upstairs will i be able to watch a DVD downstairs or will it just either switch to the DVD or SKY.
G Smith
The DVR does not contain a RF modulator, unlike most VCRs, so it will have no effect on the feed from the Sky+ box to the bedroom TV.

The downside of this is that you can't watch a DVD in the bedroom.

If you want to do that, you will have to buy a standalone modulator, attach it to the composite video & LR audio phono outputs on the DVR, tune it to an unused channel and loop the RF lead through it. The video quality will suffer and you will only get mono sound, but it should be good enough for the bedroom.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom