1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection query (yet another one!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tykent, Dec 21, 2002.

1. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

I hope someone can help. I have read through these posts and there seems to be so much information it is over-whelming.

I have just purchased a new Panasonic 5 plasma with the terminal board. I have a DVD player, Cable box and video all connected to a scart switch.

What would be the recommendation on connecting the output (SCART) from the switch box to the plasma. I have thought about a SCART to S-Video cable, SCART to a 5 BNC cable (do these exist) or possibly one of JS's boxes (but then which one, VGA?, YUV?)

I would like to run just one type of cable up to the plasma and leave the plasma switched to that input and use the SCART switch box to select the source.

Any help would be appreciated and any links to anything recommended.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recommend using a RGB+S+R+L cable:

QED make a very good quality cable in their SQART range:

You need the AV19 cable.

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av19.html

Check out hifibitz:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=QEDAV1920

Note though it comes with a male SCART connector so you might need a female to female depending on your SCART switcher. You need to set the TV to take RGB + Sync on composite.

[BTW, I have the QED 19 AV cable and I'm about to sell it, let me know if you want to buy it £40+shipping]

Regards,
    Neil.

3. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't this depend on all the sources being the same ie all RGB scart/ all composite / etc? Your cable box prob outputs RGB as would your DVD, but your video would be composite (at a guess). Though the switcher box might pass the signal along, the input to the plasma only accepts that sort of inout - i.e. S-Vid will only show s-vid, rgb, only RGB sources etc.

I'm intrigued as this is much like my own setup, though I'm happy with two cables into the plasma (component for the DVD and composite for SKY/video though the amp)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    tykent

Assuming the following:

01. Your DVD player has RGB SCART out.
    02. Your SCART switch is RGB enabled.
    03. Your VCR has either Composite or S-Video out.
    04. Your audio outs are all connected directly to your AV amp.
    05. Your are NOT connecting a PC to the VGA input on the plasma.
    06. You are happy to loose the 'Just' stretch mode Panasonic offer on video inputs.

I'd suggest the following:

A. DVD > SCART Switch - SCART TO SCART (RGB or Fully Wired)
    B. Cable Box > SCART Switch - SCART TO SCART (RGB or Fully Wired)

C. SCART Switch > JS Technology RGB2VGA -SCART TO SCART (RGB or Fully Wired)

D. RGB2VGA > Plasma - VGA to VGA

E. VCR > Cable Box - RF cable

F. VCR > Plasma - Composite or S-Video cable.

I tend to use/supply QED SQART cables and VanDamme for the VGA, Composite and S-Video.

If you want to retain the 'Just' mode then you could substitute the JS Technology RGB2VGA for John's RGB2YUV and add in a set of Van Damme Component video cables.

Best regards

Joe

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Joe,

Whilst that will work its completely overkill, and defeats the request of the poster who only wants to use one input.

Regards,
    Neil.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, sorry I'd assumed all was RGB compatable.

The RGB+S is a good solution with most VCR's using the composite out. I used to have a near identical setup:

Fully wired scart box-> PS-2 / DVD / VCR / NTL box. then the output was a SQUART AV19 cable RGB+S. It works perfectly. Although you need to flick to composite input for video playback.

Without using progressive scan modes, no other input solution has as good quality as RGB+S, that includes JS boxes and the Panasonic tuner. And at 60 quid its fairly cost effective. The reason I'm not using this solution anymore is because I want to use progressive scan with my consoles.

I'm slightly regretting buying the Panny 5 because of Panasonic's corner cutting on connections. Its a beatiful screen but hooking it up in a straightforward HQ manner is a nightmare.

Regards,
    Neil.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Surely you want to make better use of the input connections to your screen? Using the cable you suggest, you've got one input - that's all. Using the schemes Joe suggested you have the ability to use multiple inputs.

An example. You have Sky going in via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit to the PC 15-pin input. This then leave the Component input free for use with a progressive scan DVD player, and you've still got the composite/S-Video input for use with VCRs or other devices.

Alternatively, if you have a component switching amplifier, then you could convert the Sky RGB output to component and then have just a component fed to the screen. Again, you've still got the composite/S-Video input free.

Both examples give you different means to connect everything up, and is more upgradeable for the future.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thank you for your replies.

It seems it might be best to split the inputs to RGB (Sky and DVD) and other (Video).

Video Output:
    I will probably use a SCART to S-video lead for the video player output.

RGB Output:
    If I get the SQART AV19 cable that has 6 RCA plugs would I be right in thinking you use the Stereo left and right (if you want sound out of the plasma) and the other 4 for the video. If so, do you connect the R G B to the appropiate inputs and then the 4th plug to the 'video in' after setting the sync to video in the menu????

-OR-

Scart to JS RGB2VGA and a quality VGA cable to the plasma.

I am just trying to get this right before spending out on a quality cable that does not suit my needs.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Neil

I dont believe my scheme is overkill - its one that around 80% of our customers are using to good affect with Series 4 and Series 5 Panasonic displays.

I notice that your own connectivity plan whilst only having a single cable up to the display relies on you switching inputs on the display; the fact that you have multiple signal types requires that you switch inputs to view the Composite signal (and what happens if its an S-VHS player - your single cable does not have enough cores for this option).

The only way for tykent (or others) to truly have a single connection into a display and not switch inputs on the display would be to add in something like an iScan Pro (£650) or iScan Ultra (£950) in conjunction with one of Johns RGB2YUV converters to pre process all signals to one signal type and switch inputs on the processor.

I can also say from personal experience that whilst RGB + Sync on Video (as output by most Digibox designs) can work well in many systems that it is not always guaranteed to work and that 'no other input solution has as good quality as RGB+S, that includes JS boxes and the Panasonic tuner' is a flawed statement; most plasma designs are far happier with Sync on H+V than Sync on video.

There are many times when the vagaries of Digibox outputs and quality control on these boxes leaves customers struggling to get a plasma display to find a strong enough or stable enough sync signal on the Composite video line to get any picture whatsoever. In all of these cases we have added one of John's converters and rectified the situation (John has even on occasion had to modify converters to cope with particular anomalies thrown up by well out of spec Digibox designs).

I think that as John suggests its better not to try and force all inputs down a single cable - I've yet to find a system where a customer has not found a way to get multiple signal lines into a display. If someone truly wants a single cable solution they have to be prepared to pay out a bit of extra cash for signal converters/processors and probably a learning remote control too as the converter or even an RGB switch adds yet another little box to switch inputs on.

Best regards
    Joe

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    tykent

OK; so you have an S-VHS video deck - as you suggest a straightforward SCART to S-Video + Audio (L+R) cable will cover that one (QED AV1610 - 1.0m).

The one unknown in your system being which AV amplifier (if any) you use - and what video switching it offers.

As before I suggest you connect your Digibox to a JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter - use the latter if your AV amp has Component video switching and you plan to use a PC in your system.

Use a QED AV2110 (fully wired) or the AV4110 (RGB only) SCART cable to connect your Digibox to either of the JS Technology converters.

The RGB2VGA converter can be connected to your plasma with either an VGA to VGA cable or a VGA to 5xBNC cable - again if your not planning on using a PC in your system I would go with the VGA to VGA and keep your BNC inputs for a Progressive Scan DVD and or other Component video sources. (If you do use the VGA to BNC cable at this point you set the plasma to RGB + HV sync).

If you do plan to use a PC in the system and go for the RGB2YUV converter its a set of three RCA to BNC Component video cables you are after - again you may want to pass your YUV signal through an AV amp at this point so you will have a set of RCA to RCA between the converter and the AV amp and then the RCA to BNC between the AV amp and the plasma display.

I have assumed you are using an AV amp of some sort and that the audio signals from your source will be output directly to the AV amp and not plugged to the plasma display.

Best regards

Joe

11. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

7:04am :eek: Two days before Xmas - you deserve some sort of award mate !

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Joe,
    Whilst most designs _may_ prefer H+V over SYNC on video, the fact is my eyes tell me that the output from a Digibox via RGB+S is better than the output via the panasonic tuner and JS's SCART to VGA box on a Panny 5 screen, in that respect it is not a flawed statement.

I take your point about single cables, at the end of the day if you have multiple devices single cables just isn't a possiblity, roll on wireless innovations!

One thing I have come to realise is that the video electronics industry will continue to underachieve whilst there are so many different standards to effectively do the same thing. :D

I personally will probably be looking for an ISCAN ultra box as the other solutions RGB+S, Tuner and others/JS's boxes with the Panny 5 don't give me the quality or the simplicity I need. Need to find a London based dealer.

Cheers,
    Neil.

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think that shows the extra mile that Joe will go to helping his customers.

His advice is worth listening to.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.