1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection query for Philips 32PF5520D

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Smiffy 2, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I apologise in advance if this question comes across as fairly stupid, but I am a complete numpty where anything like this is concerned :suicide:

I am just about to order a new Philips 32PF5520D Freeview LCD and have a query on the connection front.
    According to the specifications on the Philips, Progressive scan is supported.
    The DVD player I will be connecting up to it (Denon DHT500SD) also supports progressive scan via "component video out".
    The problem (if it is a problem) is that the Philips LCD doesn't have "component video in" jacks.
    Can I purchase a component to RGB Scart lead and expect the progressive scan to work properly?
    The other connection in common to both units is S video but according to my Denon owners manual, progressive scan is only supported via the component route.
    Told you it was a daft question!!
    I am hoping to get a prompt reply to this as I want to order the TV today.
    Many thanks in advance
    Rob

2. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If it's like other philips LCD's the component connection is used through the DVI socket. You should get an adaptor lead with the TV which connects Component to DVI. If like others it will be a DVI to VGA connector then a VGA to Component cable.

3. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you look on the philips website it tells you that the set comes with a cable to do DVI to Component. Hope this helps.

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks very much for your prompt response and I am on the phone to Philips at the moment (for the 2nd time this morning!!)
    Unfortunately the first person told me that this TV does not support progressive scan from an external source????????
    I am currently on hold.......................................

At last a sensible response!!
    The TV DOES come with the cable supplied to connect to progressive scan.
    No other leads are requred other than a scart lead to get a picture in the first place to set up progressive both on my DVD and new TV's menus!
    Obviously the second person I spoke to was keen to find out the first persons name because basically she nearly lost them a sale!

Thanks ever so much for your help mate
    Rob

5. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hope you like your new set. I have the 32pf9986 and am very pleased with it.

6. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can also confirm that it uses component through a DVI-VGA adapter, then a VGA-component cable as I tested one out yesterday in the shop and had to use it for hooking my XBOX up with component.