connection problems bdps350

ellie666

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

i have a "bluesky" :rolleyes: plasma with the following connections available,

scart, dvi,vga, component.

this is a standard def tv no fancy bits on it at all

anyway when i connect up via my component, with the audio thru the tv (2 rca cables) the picture is fine but the tv flickures (especially with ntsc sd discs) on and off during the credits on discs.

if i connect with my hdmi thru a dvi adaptor, the picture is ok but i can not get sound out.

i have tried every option in the menu (tv & blu ray player)

interestingly although i can not select hdmi as the output the sony recognizes it is hdmi and selects the rgb(hdmi) selection.

unfortunately i don't have a seperate, nor can i afford one and my missus won't let me upgrade to an HD tv.

on my old sd dvd player - sony dvps7700 i had the same component issues with the tv, in that it would flicker on and off at random points when watching dvds, r1 or r2.

i just used my rgb scart in the end.

i also need my only component inputs for other equipment.

Hellllppp :lease:

hi

i have a "bluesky" :rolleyes: plasma with the following connections available,

scart, dvi,vga, component.

this is a standard def tv no fancy bits on it at all

anyway when i connect up via my component, with the audio thru the tv (2 rca cables) the picture is fine but the tv flickures (especially with ntsc sd discs) on and off during the credits on discs.

:

Hi ellie666 . :)
It does sound like your problem is connection/display related :( can you use hdmi thru dvi adaptor but with another connection for audio at all?
All the best.

DVI does not audio. Do you have red and white phono sockets on the TV? This will give stereo sound from the player. They are also needed if you connect by component as that is also video only. You then have to setup the player to downmix all the audio to 2 channel pcm.

Also, try setting it to max resolution of 576p or leave it on auto resolution. It will then detect the max resolution the TV can take.

If you do have red/white phono connections you need to set this settings up in the player.

Audio priority output - Stereo Analogue
DTS - Downmix pcm
Dolby Digital - Downmix pcm
Audio DRC - TV mode or Standard
Downmix - Normal

DVI does not audio. Do you have red and white phono sockets on the TV? This will give stereo sound from the player. They are also needed if you connect by component as that is also video only. You then have to setup the player to downmix all the audio to 2 channel pcm.

Also, try setting it to max resolution of 576p or leave it on auto resolution. It will then detect the max resolution the TV can take.

If you do have red/white phono connections you need to set this settings up in the player.

Audio priority output - Stereo Analogue
DTS - Downmix pcm
Dolby Digital - Downmix pcm
Audio DRC - TV mode or Standard
Downmix - Normal

that's exactly what my set up is

My old Sharp had to associate the audio inputs to a certain video input. So I had to tell it that Audio in = Video input 5 for example.

Where the audio connections are plugged in, what does it say? Is it next to the component input? Does it say audio (component/DVI).

hi there, i have just purchased the following equipment -

Sony KDL40W4500
Sony DAV-DZ660
Sony BDP S350

I also have Virgin Media V+ Box

I have connected the blu ray player and the V+ box to my tv via HDMI

I have connected the DAV surround sound system to my tv via Optical

I am only using the DAV system as surround sound and occasional DIVX playing, I will be using the Blu Ray for all other DVDS.

The problem I am having is getting 5.1 out of the blu ray and possibly V+ through the DAV system. It is only outputing through the front speakers.

I am choosing the "TV" option on the DAV system for the blu ray and V+ box as my understanding is that the sound from both of these goes to the TV via the HDMI connections and then out of the tv into the DAV system via the optical. However, I just cannot get 5.1 sound.

I appreciate most things are not broadcast in 5.1 on V+ and I simply change the sound field on the DAV system so the rear speakers replicate the front speakers so this gives me virtual surround sound however I am concerned that I cannot get 5.1 from the blu ray out of the DAV system.

If I connect the DAV system to the tv via HDMI and play a disc on it, I do get 5.1 from it then, but this isnt what I want, I want to use the blu ray via the DAV system.

Any ideas please?

thanks

Ideally you need to connect the BR player & V+ box to the DAV system, then the DAV sys to the TV. The DAV will output the audio, and forward the Video to the TV.

I am not personally familliar with this system so this may not be possible (due to lack of HDMI inputs)... if this is so.. connect the HDMI from the BR player/V+ box to the TV... and the Optical or Coax digi outputs to spare inputs on the DAV box. The TV will handle the pics (mute the TV) and the DAVS will play out the audio from the optical connection. You may need to select the format of audio that is outputted from the BR player and V+ box via optical in the setup menus to ensure that you are getting 5.1 rather than a pro-logic mix from 2ch.

that is the connection setting that i have at the moment, ie HDMI from blu ray and V+ box to the tv and then optical from the tv to the DAVS. There is only 1 HDMI on the DAVS.

With the above connection all i am getting from the blu ray is sound from the front 2 speakers.

that is the connection setting that i have at the moment, ie HDMI from blu ray and V+ box to the tv and then optical from the tv to the DAVS. There is only 1 HDMI on the DAVS.

With the above connection all i am getting from the blu ray is sound from the front 2 speakers.

You need optical/coax from the BR & V+ to the DAVs... not from the TV. The TV will only output 2ch, (well most likely anyway).

thanks for that i shall give it a go.

Do i need to tell the blu ray and V+ box to output sound via HDMI (which goes to the tv) or by optical/coaxial?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom