1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection Options

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ancillotti, May 17, 2004.

1. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey! This is my first post on these forums, although I have been browsing through various pages for awhile now. I must say that this is the best community that I have come across in terms of providing technical A/V advice - Thanks all! :thumbsup:

Anyway I'll level with you all ...

I am 18 years old and recently assisted in the purchase of a new plasma screen. My parents have been after one for some years, but held out due to the 'out-of-reach' prices that were in place two years ago. However once they decided to take the plunge I was glad to help find the best television I could ... within a budget ;) It's replacing a rather small CRT television, so I know that this is going to be an exciting new addition to the lounge!

However my main question is, what should I use to connect the DVD/VHS/Sky boxes to the television (Panny TH42PE30B)? I'm guessing decent SCART cables - Although I have read about component boxes (?) and diagrams displaying the back of the Panny shows that there are quite a few input options available. Which of these options will give the best image quality? I have a couple of good gold-ended SCART leads ready for use, but are there any other manufacturers that stand out above the rest in terms of quality?

Thanks - No point purchasing a great screen and falling down in terms of cable quality :blush:

L8rs and enjoy your plasmas!

Ancillotti

2. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few questions:

What is the best method of connection in terms of image quality for 1) Sky Digital to screen 2) DVD player to screen? Will a decent gold-ended SCART cable be good enough for both devices? What about component and RGBtoVGA convertors? I'm just trying to get the best picture quality I can ...

How would I go about installing a RGB to VGA convertor? Is the unit external? Do I need to purchase a VGA to VGA cable? Are they worth the extra cash?

Thanks, much appreciated :)

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know where the vga input is on the PE30, with the PE20 I think it was on the front so using it wouldnt be easy!

Assuming the vga is somewhere sensible, the RGB to VGA is likely the best way of going about it.

So you run scart to RGB into the converter, then vga to vga from converter to plasma. Obviously the scart and vga cables can be changed for something else should you not wish to spend as much

ad

4. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ancillotti,

This might not be as simple as you think...

If you choose to go with the above option of using a JS RGB2VGA Converter then your VCR which I assume would be connected via scart to the VCR scart socket on the sky box would not loop through anymore as its not a RGB signal.

So you would have to consider connecting the VCR using some composite connection seperately. If you remove the scart from the vcr to sky box then you can no longer record from it you see, unless u have an aerial connection from the sky on RF and it tuned into a channel number.

If your dvd player is a good model that supports progressive scan then it might be worth using a decent component cable to connect this up direct.

It's a shame you cant convince your parents to upgrade to Sky Plus, then you can ditch the VCR :laugh: and consider the JS convertor box option.

Sorry I waffled on, I just think you should consider all the equipment and how you wish to use it :)

5. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback! :) I am actually learning quite a bit in such a short space of time and I do understand your points.

lol Well I decided to move the families VCR into the kitchen, which will now be hooked up to our existing Panny CRT. The VCR was of little use in the front room anyway due to conflicts with channel viewing, as you can only record the selected channel. Sky+ would be beneficial, but I think I'll give my powers of persuasion a rest for awhile ;) It is definitely on the list of upgrades though ...

Our current DVD player is a Sony DVP-S535D. I doubt that it has progressive scan :( Does the Panny E-85 DVD recorder/HDD playback DVD's with progessive scan?

Thanks!

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you're parents are anything like mine then I wouldn't bother with the VGA converter - the VGA socket is on the front ( :mad: ) and you will lose widescreen switching. For your parents the reduction in usability may not be worth the increase in PQ.

Anyway, the new Panny DVDRAMs are Progressive Scan (in fact pretty much every Panasonic DVD from now on will be since the Prog Scan bit is a permanent feature of their MPEG decoder chip).

For sky you want to take advantage of it's single RGB output from Scart 1, however you want it to run to both the RGB input of the DVD recorder (for recording) AND direct to the plasma (for watching Sky). You will need to use a scart distribution amp to split the signal two ways:

Sky -->RGB Scart --> DVD RAM
    Sky -->RGB Scart --> Plasma (optionally using VGA converter)

DVD RAM can then go to plasma using progressive scan component connection.

(direct daisy chaining will not work unless you sacrifice Progressive Scan from the DVDRAM)

Your current Sony isn't Progressive Scan but does have an RGB scart output to run direct to the plasma or to use a VGA converter with.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've tried the RGB to Plasma VGA unit on a PA20 screen and it really does make a different to the picture quality, but the VGA socket is on the front input. What a pain.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the RGB to Component converter? I'm hoping that it may resolve the auto aspect changing problem that occurs on a minority of channels, which in turn disrupts viewing :(

As I mentioned in another topic:

Thanks for the feedback so far - Very helpful :thumbsup:

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Component doesn't have widescreen information on it*. So it should be fine. Is there not any other options on the screen to stop this? You might also consider disconnecting pin 8 on SCART. This would stop the widescreen signal being passed from source to display.

All the best,

John.

* Line 23 data burst may be present on some systems, but I'm not sure how many displays react to this. Typically, the component converter won't as normally the RGB source doesn't have line 23 information encoded on it.