1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection of sub to PC and active speakers?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Epoman, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Quick question

I want to connect a sub to my PC with my active Sony speakers.

The speakers have two 3.5mm line inputs. The Paradigm PS1000 sub has a pair of phono line inputs and a pair of phono outputs.

Do I simply connect the PC card to sub line inputs and then from sub outputs to the speakers? This is how I thought it had to be done but I have this nagging doubt whether the sub will pass the full range signal through to the speakers and wonder now whether it should be PC card to speakers before the sub (except thet the speakers have no outputs :confused: ).

I would simply try it but I need to go out and buy the phono>3.5mm leads today.

Any clues :confused:

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    My guess is that the sub out will be a low level output so no good for the speakers. Best to connect the speakers to the left and right out of the sound card and the sub to the sub output on the PC card.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    otherwise get a stereo splieter, so you get two stereo outs, then plug a stereo to phono plug to the sub, if the sub doesn't have a crossover then you need to send it through the sub out section of your soundcard or else it won't work properly (the sub will mget full freuency and thats not a good thing, as you only want stuff below 120hz really).

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    what soundcard do you have? if its an Audigy or comparable M-Audio...then simply set the crossover on the soundcard so the active speakers get the frequency range they can handle from the soundcards 3.5mm stereo output, and the sub-out on the soundcard gives the sub everything else.....

if the soundcard is more simplistic, then what you are trying to do may not be possible, but try and find an online manual for your sub if you have lost yours and it will tell you what those phono outputs on it can do....but i think the other guy was right and they will be low level, not line level....(assuming there is a difference..lol)

5. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I got it working by taking the 3.5mm output from the sound card (which is a basic one) to the 3.5mm input on the active speakers and then from the second 3.5mm input on the speakers to the phono input on the sub. I had to fiddle around with the sub crossover to make sure the sub only got the lows.

Works perfectly now :thumbsup: