1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection of my new Panny AE-100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by apexsec, Apr 5, 2002.

1. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently invested in a Panny Ae-100 and a 6ft screen can anyone tell which is the best way to connect :-
    a) my toshiba 2109 dvd player to the panny - and what cables I need
    b) my ITV Digital box to my panny - and again what cables do I need ?

I`ve read a review in the Home Cinema Choice mag that the component connections don`t give a great picture so I was going to go for s-vhs but after reading the forums I would like to know more about the VGA connection and how I would connect my dvd and ITV digi via this connection .
    Any help would be great .
    Thanks in advance.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA input on this projector will produce the best results by far over any other connection.

Unfortunately, you will need either a suitably equiped DVD player, eg. Nintaus/Skyworth, or a HTPC

:(

If your DVD player has component out, this is the best alternative. Don't confuse this with composite, this was what the HCC review referred too.

Component uses 3 phono cables/plugs, while composite uses only 1.

Regarding your digital STB, if it has S-video out, use this.

If you really want to see the best possible picture from the AE-100, get yourself a HTPC, but be warned, this is not for a technophobe:D :D :D

3. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply
    can you please tell me exactly what a HTPC is , what it costs , And where to get it from.
    Thanks again for the reply

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer.
    Check out the section for Home Cinema PC's, the second thread down is useful.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using your PC to provide the source image to the projector. And as Kramer said - this ain't for the technophobe!

It's quite straightforward to get an image to the projector, but to get the best out of the source needs patience and alot of tweaking.

Information is available if you look - there's so much to configure though that no one reply could really cover everything.

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would i be right in saying you would need air con when running a HCPC, these things generate a lot of heat and can make a room hot very quickly. Also what about PC noise along with a PJ fan??

7. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about the previous post but the link was supposed to take you to a scart lead that had a SVGA connection on the other end ,
    so you could connect from a DVD to the VGA connection on your Panny.
    What do you think ?
    p.s. its on the leads and cables page under sterling gold , syncblaster lead.

9. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am currently experimenting with a similar device from John Sim(rgbtosvideo.com)so far with no success which John did predict due to the Horizontal scanning freq of the PTAE 100.
    A working device would be very popular due to the superiority of the VGA input on this proj.
    Anybody planning to invest in the Keene connection?

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen the lead you refer too, but it won't work.

The RGB signal outputted on a scart is different from that used by the VGA input of the Panasonic. They are not compatible:(

As I said, only source for the VGA input is either a suitable DVD player (as far as I know, no such player is available in Europe, I imported one from HK.), or a HTPC.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not that the VGA input is better when fed the correct RGBHV signal. It needs to support the Wide 480 feed on the AE-100.

This gives the pixel makeup of the PJ what it needs - it's native resolution of 480:D :D

Scart RGB isn't possible. Component to VGA using a transcoder is, but I'm not even going to go there:D

12. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John Sim's lead is designed to extract the sync info from the Scart
    connection and certainly works on Plasma screens and he says on some projectors.This is also implied on the Keene site.
    Would appreciate Kramer having a look at the Keene site and giving his view.

13. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "Not suitable for use with monitors designed solely for computer use: The screen must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625KHz – most projectors, plasma and LCD panels do, most CRT monitors don’t"

this is from keene's site .
    If you check the panny manual, the PC input is 31Khz and above, therefore in my view it is no good.

This is why John Sim doesn't think his box will work either.

For me, Sky will have to go into the panny via john's s-video box, I think.

14. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "Not suitable for use with monitors designed solely for computer use: The screen must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625KHz – most projectors, plasma and LCD panels do, most CRT monitors don’t"

this is from keene's site .
    If you check the panny manual, the PC input is 31Khz and above, therefore in my view it is no good.

This is why John Sim doesn't think his box will work either.

For me, Sky will have to go into the panny via john's s-video box, I think.

15. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

As far as I can see, the Keene unit simply boosts the sync signal up to a level that the projector can lock onto but it doesn't alter the scan rate. If the projector is not capable of handling the 15kHz signal on it's vga input then it won't work.

Just to change the subject matter slightly :

I haven't had a look at the AE100 (I've just looked in from the crt forum) in action, but if anyone in the Southampton / Hampshire area has one that they like to try with a Skyworth dvd player as a source, then drop me a message.

Brian.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the RGB scart on a pace itv digital box can't hook up directly to a Panasonic ae100, is it possible to hook it up to a Super VHS video and then connect that up to the Svhs input on the ae100?
    Would that give a better quality picture than a straight composite connection? The component is reserved for the DVD player and the Svhs for a super vhs video so I am trying to find a way to hook up the STB which will give the best possible picture. I appreciate that if the above method works, I will not be able to record a programme and watch a different one at the same time, but I would sacrifice that if the quality were better.

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    This is exactly what I do, it saves having to use a composite lead to the Ae100, It may help the quality slightly, but at the end of the day you are still taking a composite feed through the VCR.
    You could use a rgb/svideo convertor on your digital box, they are about £50 from Lectropaks, this is something I have considered but am holding out to see how much the RGB/componant convertor is going to be from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ they also sell a rgb/svideo convertor.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Tim. Apparently, JVC super vhs videos convert all incoming signals
    (composite, rgb etc) into super vhs so that the output even from a STB is Svhs. This has proved to be very useful today as I have been unable to get a signal to go from the back of the STB into the composite input on the AE100. I know the input is alright as I ran the DVD through it to test it and that worked fine. Can't fathom out what the problem is and neither can the Projector engineer from Panasonic who seems to know less than a four year old.:rolleyes:
    One last point Tim, you say that there is an rgb to component convertor. Is there a way of putting two outputs i.e. dvd and converted set top box signal into the one available component input on the AE100?

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,

You can use an AV receiver with componant switching, such as the Yamaha RVX 620 RDS.

2 componant inputs, 1 output to the monitor (AE-100).

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer. Unfortunately, I have a sony receiver which I only use for the sound switching and the 5.1 obviously. Is there any switching box that I can buy or will I have to replace the receiver with one such as the Yamaha you mention?