Connection of DVR to PC Monitor with Speakers.

Mike P.

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need to make a mono audio connection between my pc monitor and a DVR receiving images and sound from a house camera security system. My monitor has its own stereo speakers and a stereo jack socket on the rear. The DVR has a mono phono socket ‘OUT’.

I’m assuming I need a stereo jack plug at the monitor end otherwise one of its speakers will produce nothing, not even mono. I stand to be corrected on this.

The choice is either to fit an adapter to the monitor and then simply connect the two devices with a male phono to phono lead, or find a cable with the appropriate connectors on either end. I can find adapters but they tend to have two female phono connectors, not one - not sure if this matters or not. If I don’t use an adapter, then having trouble finding a 2 metre cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug at one end and a single male phono plug at the other.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

one speaker should give sound whatever. eg phono to sterio or mono minijack. Or get y phono adapter. Then sterio mini jack to 2 phonos. use gender changer conectors if ypu have to but these leads should be readily avaliable.

Thanks for the reply bow79. I would prefer to get sound out of both monitor speakers, so that means using an adapter with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. As I said, these adapters always seem to come with 2 phono sockets and not one. Would you know if it matters that I'll only be using one of the two sockets - i.e. it will still work and I'd get mono sound from both monitor speakers?

Use at the phono end a y adapter 1 phono to 2 phons then connect this to the 2 leads from a sterio minijack you will then get mono but from 2 speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom