1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection method for sub/sats

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bladeboy, Jul 29, 2002.

1. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the KEF KHT2005 sub/sat package.

The recommended method for wiring for a music source is to wire the F/L and F/R speaker outputs into the sub and then out of the sub to the F/L and F/R speakers.

Given that extra cable length and physical connections are introduced with this method, would it not be better to wire to the F/L and F/R speakers first and then on to the sub, such that the sub is the last connected device?

Any feedback gratefully received

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

Depends on the amp/receiver you have and what it does for its Direct/Stereo mode. I would connect it as they suggest as I imagine the sub has a high pass filter which will only send signals above a certain cutoff to the satellites.

You could also just wire the satellites straight to the amp and then connect the sub to the amp via the phono lead (low level). Then set all speakers in the amps bass management to SMALL, all bass to SUB.

3. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,

I am using the Denon 3802, and using the EXT.IN inputs, i.e. the analogue inputs.

The trouble with wiring the satellites straight to the amp and then connecting the sub to the amp via the phono lead (low level), is that the sub doesn't work when I play a stereo SACD, because the amp is just receiving left and right speaker signals from the SACD player (Pioneer DV747A).:(

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    That´s the drawback with the Ext inputs, no bass management! Looks like you´ll have to connect the sub via the high level connections to the front left & right channels and then onto the sats.

5. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems to me to be quite a compromise. This means that I am being forced to add extra connections and extra cable length between the F/L anf F/R speakers and the amp, which is the opposite to what you would try to achieve when connecting a system together. (shorter cables, less impedance, more cone control etc etc)

bb

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Does the 747 not have bass management onboard?

I don't have one, but as it has onboard decoders for DD/DTS/DVD-A/SACD etc, then I would have expected it to be able to do the bass management itself.
    Then just connect the 5.1 outputs on the 747, to the 5.1 inputs on the 3802.
    For stereo, you should only need Front L&R plus the sub.

As I said, I don't have one, so I'm not sure how they work, but it seems to me that if you can't do this, then there is a bit of a design flaw - I'm sure plenty of people would want to listen to a 2 channel SACD or DVDA disc with a sub/sat combination - surely they don't expect people to have to come up with various convoluted cabling schemes to be able to do this?

Then again...... :rolleyes:

7. motormuis

motormuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I've read in a test on www.mediacheckpoint.de, the bass-managementproblem is caused by the kef speakers. I don't know mutch about it, but Im thinking of buying the kht2005 and I am reading as mutch as possible about it. By the way, the test is in German!

8. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I've connected the F/L and F/R speaker outputs from the amp into the high level inputs on the sub and then out of the sub to the F/L and F/R speakers. I have also left the low level connected between the amp and the sub.

The only obvious drawback I can see so far is that I have to alter the input level on the sub every time I swop between a 5.1 and a stereo source. This is because the bass comes out a lot louder with stereo as opposed to the .1 from a 5.1 source, because the sub automatically switches to the low level input.:rolleyes:

This is a bit of a pain because there are no reference marks on sub's input level dial for me to turn it to for either source. A couple of discrete dots of white paint should do the trick.
    :)

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    When using DIRECT mode on the amp try turning the SW channel level to -12db then OFF (via Mode Select, Channel Level). Should stop any bass doubling and sort the problem out. It turns the bass output off at low level. Direct mode sends full range signals to the front left & right channels regardless of your bass management settings. You should´nt lose bass as you have the high level connected as well.

10. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try that tonight Jase, although I didn't think that it was possible to get bass doubling I thought that when I am playing a stereo source in direct mode, there is no low level output to the sub and when I play a 5.1 source in direct mode the low level output is sent to the sub which automatically overrides and switches off the high level inputs :confused:

11. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase, just to clarify, I am listening to all music sources, i.e. stereo cd, stereo sacd and multichannel sacd with the amp switched to EXTERNAL INPUT, thereby using the 6 analogue inputs. I am listening to DVD with the amp switched to Dolby Digital, thereby using the digital input.

bb

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Ah. I see. In that case the External Input bypasses everything. If you were listening to CD in DIRECT mode and using the digital input the above would work (SW to OFF etc).

Bit of a pain not having bass management in the dvd player. I have the same problem for DVD Audio with my Toshiba, even if you select all speakers as small, bass to sub, it still sends full range signals to the main channels.:rolleyes: :(