1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection interrupted

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by toddy25, May 11, 2003.

1. toddy25

toddy25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A newbie problem I hope you can help me with.....!

When I play online - RTCW or MOHAA - every minute or so I lose my connection for about 3 seconds.

I can't ignore it .. I'm just easy prey in those few moments.

I assume that I have some sort of setting that is scanning or interrupting the connection each minute but I've tried to find it and can't stop it - can you suggest anything Windows or other program related that might be doing this?

I used to have a dodgy connection through dial up but now I'm on BB and wouldn't expect to have this prob. I've got no virus s/w running, prob is there whether Zone Alarm is running or not, stopped all services running that I can etc......

Win XP, Netgear DG824M w/l router, Netgear MA101, BT Openworld BB.

Cheers for any help/suggestions anyone can give me...

Phil

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Does the interuption happen during normal net surfing? I only tend to get interuptions if the server i'm connecting to (both public and designated games servers) have issues and get disconnected but this only happens occasionally not every couple of minutes. Try updating you modem drivers and patches for your software.
    If you had a dodgy connection on dial up then your bb might have inherited the same problem - it is the same line after all. Get BT to do a line check and make sure it's working ok.
    other than that i don't know what you ca do . Maybe change your isp if you don't get any joy from bt. I'm with pipex and haven't had any probs/issues since i had it installed some 6 months ago.

3. toddy25

toddy25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply Hawklord

I've got the latest firmware for the Netgear router and drivers for the USB adapter.

I also wondered if I have an inherent problem with the BT line and I may call BT tomorrow to check it out.

I've ran some checks on broadbandreports.com which look at the speed and loss etc and they all report a good connection.

re the frequency of the interruptions, they are exactly one minute apart. I ran the Networking utilisation program in Windows Task Manager while in a session of RTCW and I could see a drop in utilisation of the network to zero, in a disctinct pattern each 60 seconds.

I've always been pretty sure that either a service or a program such as Outlook has been running every minute to perhaps scan for e-mails etc, but I've been through every setting in every program I have incl Zone Alarm, Outlook, Go!Zilla, Messenger etc etc but nothing makes a difference. I've also stopped all services that don't seem to be required for Internet gaming per Black Viper.

Yes, I'm sure the problem is there when net surfing, although it's not noticable. It is definitely noticable when I am downloading files though, as I can see a drop on the trf rate scale at the top of the Go!Zilla console and also in Task Manager.

I'm going to have to try a wired connection next to see if it's the w/l that's the problem, though as with everything else, I've checked the settings over and over!

It's starting to do my head in....

Phil

4. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have any spyware program to scan your pc if not go here and get ad ware :clap:

it may be a spyware program doing it worth a shoot
    Boogie man :p

5. toddy25

toddy25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Boogie man

Thanks for the advice

I've still got the problem, but I've narrowed it down to something being wrong with the wireless connection. I borrowed a card from work and with a wired connection everything is OK.

From reading the forums on ADSLguide it seems the Netgear w/l router I bought has got a few w/l problems that Netgear know about and will hopefully fix with the next firmware release.

Unfortunately I haven't heard this from Netgear themselves because surprise, surprise they haven't responded to one of my e-mails!

Cheers

Phil

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    have you sorted the problem yet?