1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection Help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ripley, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Ripley

Ripley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

My 4:3 TV had a little accident recently and I've now been plunged into the scary world of Home Cinema.

I had relatively little say in what replacement TV I could get as the insurance company were stumping up the cash, and I have little money to go on luxuries these days. I plumped for the Panasonic TX-28PS5 as space is tight in my shoebox living room, and this seems a decent mix of everything with the 5.1 included.

My problem is that it arrives tomorrow and I have no clue how to connect it up with my existing Samsung DVD-VCR combo (another space saver) and standard Sky box for optimal performance, nor what cables I should purchase.. or even what connects to what! :confused:

I've had a read of Ibrox's help for a newbie post, which I found to be quite helpful, but still not sure with how that would translate to my system (I think its the combo unit which is confusing me)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

2. Ripley

Ripley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update!

TV has arrived and I've set it up, but I have a few bruning issues, which do not seem to be solved by rearranging the cabling.

Currently, I have the standard sky box connected DVD-VCR and then that connected to the TV, with a digital coax cable between the TV and DVD-VCR for sound.

There is a constant flicker to the DVD picture.. I did notice this on my previous TV, but as that was damaged I assumed it was due to that. Also.. a similar flicker is noticeable on Sky, during the TV Guide (is this just a case of something i have never noticed before?) and the geometry of the Sky banners/EPG seem slightly skewed, though this I can live with.. just wondering really if all is normal.

If you could help with the DVD flicker I would be very grateful - I'm wondering if I've not cabled it up correctly or my cables are naff.

Many Thanks

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Could this be a Macrovision isssue due to the signal being fed through a vcr ? Can you take the signal straight from Sky / dvd into the tv, using rgb where available ?

4. Ripley

Ripley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I just tried having the DVD-VCR on AV1 and Sky box on AV2 and the picture behaviour is identical.. still flickering constantly (mostly noticeable on black/dark backgrounds) during DVD/VCR playback and the minor issue with Sky is still there.

Any clues?