1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Big Bad Dom, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Big Bad Dom

Big Bad Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have just bought a dvd/hard disc recorder, the Sony RDR-HX1000 (yay!). I'd appreciate a little advice on connecting it to my TV, Freeview box and VCR.

My thinking is as follows:

Freeview box ----> TV (SCART)
    Freeview box ----> DVD recorder (SCART)
    [I *think* that both SCARTs on the Freeview box are RGB enabled but will check]

DVD recorder ----> TV (Component + SCART cables)

Unfortunately, after this I am out of SCARTs on the DVD recorder, leaving me without a space for the VCR. The best things I can think of would be either to get a SCART splitter and use it for connecting the TV and VCR to the DVD recorder, or to get a SCART to 6 phono cable and make use of the phono connections on the DVD recorder.

Can anybody let me know which would be the option for best quality, or if they have any other ideas?

Many thanks :)
    BBD

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why do you want to connect VCR to DVD? If it's to copy tapes, use a set of three RCA leads (unless VCR is s-vhs, then a pair of audio leads + s-video lead).

It's unlikely your FV box has RGB on its recorder-out. Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic do s-video. Sony s-video is only available to Smartlink-enabled recorders - so you should be OK if you have Sony FV box. I don't know of other FV boxes with a recorder output other than composite.

The following set-up will give you RGB recording and viewing, but there are some restrictions:

a) You may not be able to record analogue and watch digital unless the DVD will pass the scart (FV) signal through when it is recording analogue. The DVD manual will tell you if you can make it do this.

b) You will not be able to use the FV box timer to autostart the recorder because that will only work from the FV recorder out.

c) To record timer events you have to set the FV box timer and the DVD timer and leave the FV box turned on. This is because FV boxes don't usually turn on their TV-outs from standby under timer control.

If you are happy with this lot, read on:

1. FV box TV-out -> DVD AV-in scart. Set to RGB out / in respectively.
    2. DVD AV-out -> TV RGB-enabled scart. Set DVD to RGB out. The TV will probably switch automatically.
    3. DVD component-out -> TV. You will need audio leads to the TV unless it uses one of the scarts for component sound. In this case that scart for (2) above.
    4. VCR -> a TV scart
    5. VCR -> DVD when you need it as above.

Note that this set-up doesn't use the FV recorder-out.

You watch FV in RGB by the FV TV-out 'looping through' DVD to the TV RGB scart.

You record RGB from the FV box TV-out.

You watch DVD or HDD recordings either with component or RGB depending on whether you select component or AV on the TV.

You should be able to watch TV in component when the DVD is turned on but not recording, because the DVD conversion circuits will be on.

3. Big Bad Dom

Big Bad Dom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much eddyad. Hmm, I shall have to think about that............. I've checked by the way and you're right, my (Pioneer) FV box doesn't output RGB through the recorder SCART but it does do S-vid.

Either way, you've solved my problem - many thanks for your help, much more intelligable than the manual! :thumbsup:

4. Pilch

Pilch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's unfortunate that the RGB out on the Freeview boxes don't seem to support smartlink/q-link etc.

I want to link my Sony VTXD800U FV box to my HX900 using smartlink (so I can just hit record on the Freeview's EPG to record everything) but as far as I'm aware the only way to do this is to use the second AV out on the FV box, sacrificing RGB for S-video or worse.

Just for clarification, eddyad seems to be suggesting that as long as the HX900/1000 isn't recording, the picture from the FV box (passing though the HD recorder) will be progressive scan (when using component outputs) when setup as above.

Is this right? I know that the Freeview picture I have changes when I hit the progressive button on the remote, but I was never entirely sure if it was progressive or not.

[Btw I've only had the recorder for a couple of days and this is the first prog scan player I've had, so I'm new to non-interlaced TV :) ]

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree. I asked Grundig (my Freeview box) why the TV-out didn't turn on with its timer and the reply was:
    a) Many TVs would react to the signal and change channels. This would be annoying if you were watching an analogue channel on the TV.
    b) Worse, some TVs will actually turn on from standby when triggered by the scart, and many people leave their TVs in standby all the time, even on holiday. It could be a risk to have TVs turnng on in the absence of the owner.

I didn't get round to asking why there was no RGB on the Freeview recorder-out at all.

So the looped-through TV-out RGB will give better results than using the recorder-out. But you sacrifice the auto-start facilities.
    It's a matter of preference - smartlink and s-video or no smartlink and RGB. My Freeview box only has composite on the recorder-out so I've gone for the RGB solution. Also the recorder is a Pioneer which will do scart pass-through when it is recording analogue from its internal tuner.
    Only if the recorder is turned on so that the circuitry to produce the Component out is operation. I doubt this would be the case in standby.
    I don't have a recorder/TV with component or progressive so I can't say. The wiring arrangement I described applies to most/all equipment providing the recorder has scart pass-through. It is primarily to give a complete RGB path.

6. Pilch

Pilch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that eddyad. I don't get a FV picture at all unless the HD recorder is on so all the circuitry will be functioning when I'm watching FV.

Having just played around with it, switching it from suspected prog scan (50Hz 625p) to the definitely interlaced mode that I used to use (75Hz 833i mode) seems to reduce finer detail implying that it is indeed outputting a progressive scan signal. :)

Of course the 50Hz flicker is a bit odd having been used to 75Hz & 100Hz before.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I assume you meant through the HX900 -> TV scart, in which case I'm surprised. I would have thought the HX900 would have 'passive' scart passthrough when in standby.

You haven't said which connection option you have - is the HX connected to the FV box's TV-out or recorder-out?

If it's the recorder-out then the smartlink on the connection may prevent the FV signal getting through.

If it's the TV-out (as in my alternative connection arrangement) then try turning off Smartlink on the FV box (page 10).

The more I hear about Smartlink the more confused I become - despite having a Sony TV :confused: