Connection help with new LCD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rjtaylor, Sep 16, 2007.

1. rjtaylor

rjtaylor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Recently took delivery of a Samsung le37m87. I'm connecting it to as virgin box and the JVC TH-r3 home cinema system.

I've read and read to try and understand the best connection types, but still somewhat confused as to what the optimal is so would appreciate any help.

Virgin media box only has a 2xscart output, so have a fully wired scart from Virgin box to home cinema system, with RGB enabled.

Then comes the connection from the JVC to the Samsung TV. Its presently set up with another fully wired scart, but not sure if this is best. JVC system has:
    component video output
    2 x scart
    optical audio input
    audio out
    sadly no hdmi....

whats trhe best method to connect it up?
    Would I be better getting a good quality rgb component over the scart? I don't really use the tv for sound as always use the home cinema system, so not too much of an issue that I don't have a digital out on the jvc system (I guess!).

Thanks in advance for any asisstance.

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Component would be better than Scart as it will allow Progressive Scan playback which is not possible through Scart.

I would guess if your JVC Player has component output sockets it will say in the manual it can handle progressive scan.

This will definitely increase PQ over that of RGB.

The only problem is that Component is video only so you would also need to connect the JVC to your sound system via either digital Coaxial or Optical if you have them or Red/White phono if you don't.

Hope this helps
    Anthony

3. rjtaylor

rjtaylor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Anthony :thumbsup:

JVC does have progressive scan, and as you quite rightly said only allows this through component video - thanks. No issues regarding audio as I don't use the tv audio, only use the jvc unit.
    So connections will be:
    Virgin box to JVC TH-R3 via Scart
    JVC to TV - video via component video
    audio via phono but not really needed.

Re the component video cable, any suggestions? Is there a significant difference depending on how much you pay, or is it like scart where there is not much point in paying over £10-15?

Thanks again.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    From what I have been reading, and personally experienced, it depends on the length of the component cable you will be needing.

If its over longer distances (5m+) then a high grade shielded cable would probably be needed.

If all you are wanting is to connect it up over short then I would use something like this

Pure Component Cable - 2m

This would very likely serve your purposes.

But if you want to go down the high grade route

Profigold Component Interconnect, 3 Phono, Male to Male Video Cable - 1.5m

From clearly-av would likely be one of the best component cables you could find.