1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection help pleeeease

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by urbanlegend, Jan 23, 2005.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    please can someone help a very confused soon to be hitachi 5200 owner.got the plasma ordered and am gonna buy a homecinema with dvd in the near future.i just need someone to tell me the cables im buying are okay because i dont mind spending money on quality cables if i need them.with my limited knowledge this is what i was thinking.

(1) SKY+ connected rgb scart to scart on av4 for video PROFIGOLD PGV7500.
    connected l/r stereo phono cables for audio PROFIGOLD PGA4200.

(2)DVD connected scart to component to av1 PROFIGOLD PGV372(will this still give me good component feed as dvd player only has scart?).does this show how stupid i am at this sort of thing! :blush:
    again for audio PROFIGOLD PGA4200

(3)XBOX connected to av2 with supplied cable.

please,please could someone give me some advice even if its a yes thats ok so i can go ahead and order these cables,otherwise im gonna have a shiny new plasma for the family but not a clue how to set it up.it might seem like simple stuff to you guys but to me this is turning into a techno nightmare :rolleyes:

2. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    try not to use the cable that comes with the xbox,it realy would be an insult to such a bit of kit like your hitachi 5200.just looked it up on dealtime,sounds realy good.try a advanced cable(currys do them)rgb or s-video would be better than the composite cable they supply.sorry i cant help with the other points.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Point no. 2 is a no go, I'm afraid. RGB scart and component are 2 different signals, you need more than a cable to change between them. Also there is no need, as they are similar in quality. We could get technical here about why you should not worry about component video for DVD, but just do the same as point 1, it will look fine. The X-Box, there I would recommend the microsoft hi def kit. This is component video, I suggest this as the ones I've seen on RGB have not impressed me, and it's the same cost to go to component video or RGB, and you now have a spare component input, but have used your 2 RGB ones.

4. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the help.so maw i am ok to go from scart on my dvd player to rgb connection on av2?something like profigold pgv7405?phew feel like im getting somewhere...lol...and i take the point about the xbox connection.thanks for the help again

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No worries, I expect a bunch of Hitachi owners will show up shortly and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I'd do it for a customer.

6. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks maw.just 1 more simpleton question :blush: are all scart sockets rgb?in other words can i be sure my scart on dvd player(alba dvd108) is rgb compatible if im spending my hard earned cash on a good rgb connection.or is this another stupid question?

7. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    forget that last question.managed to persuade the other half to get a home cinema system with dvd to compliment the new plasma :clap: so im gonna go rgb scart to scart for sky+.component connection for jvc th-sw8.with an optical digital cable between sky and home cinema.ill sort out the xbox later as cables so far exceed £100.thanks again