1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection Help Please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Artie Fufkin, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I have now decided, after seeing the PV500 showing freeview and SD DVD that it's not the one for me and I am looking at either the PW7 or PE50.

To help with costing though, could someone please explain what would I would require to best connect the following to the PW7:

Freeview box with RGB scart.
    Tosh DVD recorder with RGB scart and component.
    Video player with scart. [I know, I know...but I have a big collection of tapes]

I don't have Sky, probably will never connect a PC and I don't want to use my amp for video switching.

I guess the PE50 with it's 3 scarts and component input would be the easy one-stop solution [and I get a digial and analogue tuner - fine for watching one digi channel and recording another from the digibox AND I get teletext], but if I go for the panel, what "extras" would I need and would this then bring the price up to that of the PE50?

But then, I suppose the pic will be better with the panel...

2. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the PW7 get the dual board with your plasma. It has svideo, component and composite inputs.

feed your free view into a rgb>vga convertor, then out into the pw7's vga socket.
    Feed your dvd via component into the plasma dual board, and your video into the composite on the dual board, i got the bnc one and the composite is actually a bnc connector.
    dont know about your amp, but you could feed composite from video(via one of those scart to 3 rca leads) into the amp, then out via s video.

3. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kherm, could you please talk me through your decision to take the PW7 over the PV500? I am wrestling with the same HD vs ED question (whether to buy the PWD7 now, or wait to see if the new Samsung HD is everything it's cracked up to be), and would really appreciate your thoughts. I've not been able to find the PV500 anywhere yet...

Thanks!

4. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Philthy, thanks for your reply. That was exactly the information I was looking for.

Slimline, I have been undecided over the HD thing too but last week was in the local shop@panny where they had the P500 and the PE50 side by side. The HD pic on the 500 was astonishing, but the pic from freeview and SD DVD was better on the PE50 than the 500. And, quite simply, freeview and DVD is what I watch and HD won't be mainstream for years. I don't want a telly with a poorer standard pic just so I can watch some downloaded HD clips. I don't do gaming either.

So I am torn between the PW7 [£1450 incl. wallmount, board and converter] or the PE50 [£1884] incl. wallmount.

So for £400+ pounds I get digital and analogue tuners and built-in speakers which all could be handy. But I read that the PW7 should out-perform the PE50 picture-wise, and it looks sleeker for wall mounting.

Decisions, decisions.

5. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's really helpful - I guess that if the HD panel really doesn't look as good displaying an SD image then there's no point getting it - I will mainly use it for DVDs, possibly some regular freeview but not much, and certainly no Sky or gaming. I guess they're supposed to be bringing out HD-DVD and Blu-Ray by Christmas, but these timings always slip and who knows how long it'll be before the kit becomes affordable. Plus, the consensus on these boards seems to be that HD looks fantastic on EDTVs too.

My only single concern is that the PWD7 can't accept 720p HDMI at 50Hz, so I would be stuck with component. Views seem to be divided on the relative merits of component vs digital - a lot of people a while ago were saying that the difference is indetectable to the naked eye, but recently I've seen a number of posts insisting that an HDMI source blows away component.

As you say, decisions decisions...