1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection help please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pivalo, Feb 17, 2004.

1. pivalo

pivalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies that this has almost certainly been covered in other threads before, but for my specific requirements, I have not been able to work out an answer. I have the following system:

Panasonic TX-32PD30
    Bose 3-2-1 (no flaming please!)
    Sky+ digibox

I have connected the Sky+ to the Bose via Optical audio cable and to the TV via scart into AV1 (RGB/Video)

The Bose is connected to the TV AV4 scart (RGB/S-Video/video) using the L & R audio leads and an S-Video cable, all running via a scart converter (3 cables plugged into the converter, the converter switch is set to S-IN).

My first issue is that on DVD playback, the picture is black and white, even when I select AV4/S (enables S-video). Is this because the Sky+ is RGB (doesn't do S-Video, I think) and the Bose is trying for S-Video)? I can't see why this should be a problem, but can't think of anything else.

Also, I hear of people talking about 21-pin scarts - both mine seem to be 20-pin - am I being dumb, or are there different types? One came with the Sky+ (scart/scart) and the other is the adaptor mentioned above.

Finally - does anyone really use 'Dynamic' mode on the Panasonic - it looks terribly grainy to me. On that thought, does anyone know if there is any really difference between the 100Hz, 100Hz Plus and 75/833i modes?

Sorry to waffle on. My real issue is with the B&W picture, but answers to the other questions would be interesting.

Thanks very much, in advance.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know whether you have misstyped something as according to your post the Sky Plus box is connected to the RGB scart socket on the TV to provide pictures and to the Bose unit by optical cable to provide the sound and this seems to be correct.

The Bose unit will not output RGB so you need to connect it to a scart socket on the TV that accepts s-video signals and probably select s-video in both the TV and Bose menu systems.

A black & white picture is normaly the result of an s-video picture being transmitted into a non s-video scart or one that hasn't been configured correctly.

Why are you using a scart converter - is it because you have lots of other equipment connected that you haven't mentioned as that may be part of the problem.

3. pivalo

pivalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian. I have checked the original post and it seems okay - I think the problem probably lies with my not configuring the Bose and the TV correctly (or at all, in fact!) - I will have a look through the documentation. I must have missed something.

As regards the converter, the reason I am using this is that I need a scart connection into the TV (unless I want to use the front AV connection), but as the Bose has no scart connection, I am using the separate leads which came with the Bose, then plugging them into a convertor - would I be better of with an audio/s-video to scart cable? I have nothing else connected to it, except the Sky+. When I play the Xbox, I usually plug it directly into the front of the TV, then pack it away afterwards.

I appreciate the response - nothing worse than spending hard earned cash and knowing that you aren't getting the best out of what you have bought.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that the Bose should be connected to the TV via a cable that has an s-video connection on one end and a scart on the other end. You don't need to connect the audio from the Bose to the TV as the audio will be produced via the Bose anyway.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Someone is selling a 5m version of what you need in the classified forum here

6. pivalo

pivalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Ian - the S-video/scart cable worked a treat. I even upgraded the scart/scart cable for my digibox to TV. Pictures are a treat.