• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connection help needed for Samsung HT-TZ315R HTK

gralo

Standard Member
Sorry Guys but another newbie has joined and my limited knowledge of this subject tells me that this will be my first visit of many. First let me tell you what equipment I have:

TV = Samsung LE40R88BD
Home Cinema = Samsung HT-TZ317R HTK
V+ Cable Box = Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB
DVD Recorder = Sony RDR-HX525
Games Console = PS3 80GB

At this moment in time the Sony RDR-HX525 is not yet connected but I have the H/C, V+ box and PS3 all connected to the TV by HDMI.

I only get sound from the H/C when I play a dvd in the H/C. All other sound comes out of the TV. I would like to be able to get the sound from all connected devices to come out of the H/C but would also like the option to select sound from the tv only. The thought of my better half listening to Eastenders through the H/C terrifies me. Maybe this is done just by turning the tv volume up and the H/C volume down, I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
In order to get true surround sound, you'll need to connect all the sources directly via a digital audio cable. The only digital audio input on the Samsung is a single optical connection, therefore you will need to share this input with your various sources. The easiest method is to use a 3 way manual optical switch. However, to get surround sound from your DVD recorder, you would need to convert the digital coaxial (electrical) output to optical. You would need a converter to do this. Do you use the DVD recorder for playback of movies or just recordings?

Digital Coax to Optical Converter
3 Way Manual Optical Switch

I think the V+ has optical out (not familiar with cable) and it has twin tuners. If you rarely use the TV's tuner and don't need surround sound from freeview (stereo/dolby pro logic only) then don't connect the TV to the H/C unit via audio.

gralo

Standard Member
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your prompt help. As for the dvd recorder usage it will primarily be used for playback of recordings only. DVD's will be played through the PS3 or H/C. Would this mean that the converter is no longer needed?

Surround sound from the TV tuner (Freeview) is not that important as most content is watched through the V+ box. When you mention not connecting the TV to the H/C audio, do you mean don't connect via the optical switch?

So in summary, if I have it right, I need to connect the PS3, V+ to the H/C via the optical switch and only connect the TV by this method if I want surround sound from Freeview. So I need to buy 2 optical cables (3 if connecting the TV) and a 3 way switch. As for the dvd, as I only use this to playback recording then the converter is not necessary.

I apologise in advance Dave if this sounds as though I'm asking you to repeat anything but I just want to make sure that I'm ordering the right equipment.

Thanks again.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your prompt help. As for the dvd recorder usage it will primarily be used for playback of recordings only. DVD's will be played through the PS3 or H/C. Would this mean that the converter is no longer needed?

Correct, simply use the TV speakers for playback of recordings (or run an audio cable from the TV if it passes audio over its optical output. Not all TVs do. You would need to check as some simply pass freeview audio over optical).

Surround sound from the TV tuner (Freeview) is not that important as most content is watched through the V+ box. When you mention not connecting the TV to the H/C audio, do you mean don't connect via the optical switch?

Yes but as you have already stated, you only really need to connect the PS3 and V+ via optical as those are the primary surround sound sources i.e. movies and games.

So in summary, if I have it right, I need to connect the PS3, V+ to the H/C via the optical switch and only connect the TV by this method if I want surround sound from Freeview. So I need to buy 2 optical cables (3 if connecting the TV) and a 3 way switch. As for the dvd, as I only use this to playback recording then the converter is not necessary.

You got it!

I apologise in advance Dave if this sounds as though I'm asking you to repeat anything but I just want to make sure that I'm ordering the right equipment.

Thanks again.

No problems and good luck with your new setup and enjoy!! :thumbsup:

gralo

Standard Member
Thanks again Dave.

May I trouble you for one more thing?

You have been so kind as to recommend a switch....could I ask if you can recommend quality optical cables?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Try audiovisualonline for both the switch and the optical cables. The fisual pro at £5 are fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom