1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection for Pioneer 626 and Tosh MT1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Peter O Sullivan, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I am kind of new to this whole proper connection thing, but anyway.Could anyone help me as i am looking for the best type of connection to go from my pioneer 626 (RGB signal out from scart and s-video) to my new Toshiba MT1 lcd projector which has a composite, s-video and a RGB input(it is a 15pin socket like on a computer not 3 seperate leads).

I think i am looking for a "scart to a 15pin RGB) lead but dont know if there is such thing. If not what do i actually need to get a RGB signal from the dvd to the projector.

I am also looking for a 7-8 foot wide screen (4:3 or 16:9 ratio). Can anyone recommend one for a good price (kind of broke after the projector)
    Thanks
    Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter O Sullivan (edited 11-11-2000).]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recntly bought one of these tosh mt1's. I had the same thoughts as you about taking rgb from the scart on my sony dvd to the d-sub 15 pin plug on the mt1. I had to have a lead made especially, but it did'nt work. It seem's this plug only accepts pc rgb, or composite outputs from a dvd player. I use an s-vhs lead from my dvd player to my tosh mt1, and it's great. If you find another/better way please let me know.
    Let me know what you think about the tosh. I've had mine about 2 mnths now and think it's fantastic.

3. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. That sorted out that question. I saw in the manual (pg15) that NTSC/PAL/Secam wouldn't be displayed if input through the RGB connection but was not sure.
    I just got the projector last week and am using my pull down blind as the screen at the moment. It gives me a 6foot wide screen and it looks absolutley brilliant. I cant wait to see what it is like on the back of the house at about 12 foot wide. I am addictted to watching A Bugs Life on it (it looks perfect).
    Was there any difference between the composite signal and S-vhs signal.
    Also do you know or have you connected up a playstation to it. My friend told me that in the playstation manual you can't/shouldn't hook it up to a projector.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have s-vhs connection as an option as my dvd player has no composite outputs, but I believe if a dvd player has composite outputs then these give a slightly better picture. As regards connection to a playstation. Well I have read that it's only projection tv's you should'nt hook up to as displaying a still image for long periods damages the screen the image is displayed upon inside the tv. So there is no problem in hooking it up to the tosh mt1. In fact I connect my pc to mine via the 15pin rgb plug. All I can say is wow!!
    The images are so crisp. Imagine playing your favorite game on a 6ft screen.
    Just try it. The tosh gives hi-res graphics display. up to 1240*1024. svga.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I think you are getting confused between component and composite. Component is better than composite, which in turn is better than composite.

You only need to worry about playstations and display devices when they are crt based, ie CRT T.V.'s, rear projection or front projection. This is because the stationary images (the part of the screen showing the score for instance) get burnt in to the phospor that creates the picture. So, if you play the same game permanently, or leave a game paused for 6 hrs while you get some sleep, it'll damage your display.

LCD and DLP will not be damaged by serial gaming!

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactlly what I meant to say. Thanks.