Connection drops from second router used as wireless extender

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by karlos1544, Feb 14, 2014.

1. karlos1544

karlos1544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I realise the subject of using two routers together is comprehensively covered in the forums, indeed the 'use two routers together' thread is what helped me extend my wireless network.

Unfortunately i am experiencing a very frustrating issue to which i cannot find an answer.

I have extended the wireless network of a primary Technicolor 582n router (provider is Plunet) by attaching a socondary sky Sagem (g) router by ethernet cable and powerline plugs.

On the secondary router i have:

1. diabled DCHP
    2. made the SSID and password the same as the primary router
    3. assigned an IP address that is outside of the DCHP range of the primary router
    4. set channel to 6, whereas the priamry router is on channel 11

As i transition from the location of the primary router to the secondary router i can see the bars on my iphone drop away until i get sufficiently close to the second router and then, bing, full bars again, as expected.

The problem is, after my iphone has seemlessly connected to the secondary router it drops the signal altogether after about 5 seconds. I have tried this with iphone, ipad, mac, pc, same issue every time and always drops after abnout 5 second, like clockwork.

If i attach an ethernet cable directly from the secondary router into my laptop internet works fine, so it seems to be a problem with the wireless

Can someone please help me? I am desparate to sort this out.

Thank you

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,722
    Sounds like some kind of RF interference.
    Do all devices loose connection at the same time..?
    Do you have any DECT phones or the like..? They are reputed to cause problems.
    You could try using something like InSSIDer to survey your locale and see if there are any other WLAN's using the same or similar radio channels with similar RSSI to yours. If so, a channel change might be in order.

Unfortunately, wi-fi is a "secondary" use of the radio frequencies and many other things also use them such as baby monitors, car alarms, microwave ovens, video senders. If there are any of those around (which will be difficult to detect with any free tools I'm aware of) all you can really do is try to avoid using the same radio channels.

3. karlos1544

karlos1544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I will check if everything disconnects at the same time. I don't have a digi phone but will consider the other items your mentioned and try inssider.

I should mention that if I unlock a device in the vicinity of the secondary router, it will connect and stay connected. The issue occurs only when transitioning from the primary router signal to secondary router signal, ie as I walk through the house.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,722
    That sounds more like a software issue.
    Whether or not multiple devices disconnect at the same time will tell you whether "something" is blatting out some form or periodic radio pulse, electronic countermeasures, (or the router is kicking everything off.)
    You could also try powering up a device from cold and dark in the outpost area and see it that maintains or looses connection. The process of initially binding to an Access Point (called "Assiciation") is slightly different to the process of unbinding from one AP then binding to another (called "Re-Associaion") so there may be some issue with the latter. Starting up cold and dark should give you and indication of whether Association or Re-Association is failing.
    Methodical testing with different devices will also give you an indication of whether the issue if with a particular client, particular AP (router) or some combination of the two.

5. karlos1544

karlos1544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks a lot for your help, i will have a look at this and revert back. Identifying the source of the problem is the first step in solving it...