Connection dropping to 0.5mb - 1mb after 9pm ish

Zombane

Hi all, recently switched from BT to Sky. Since switching every night after around 9pm my speed drops to the above. This lasts all night unless I reboot my router. I've had Sky BB for about 6 weeks and their support team keep fobbing me off. I have all new equipment (filters etc) so I am at a loss as to what it could be? I'm on the unlimited package and get 7-8mb normally. Any more info required ask away, and thanks in advance.

Hedgehog1979

Where are you getting the speed from, is it a speed test or from the router?

How are you connecting to the router?

If it is wireless you could try changing the channel number in case the channel you are using is busy or picking up interference.

If it is wired then could be a throughput issue, I would try a different device though to see if you get the same result.

Also if you are doing a speed test then try speedtest.net and then select Namesco or Structured communications both based in London.

Dave Lewis

Novice Member
If you search the web it seems Sky have run out of capacity in certain parts of the country and it is crippling peoples speed at peak times. If that is the case I would phone them up and complain, if you had no issues with BT then it is unlikely to be a fault.

Zombane

It is not a fault on my end. Everything was fine until I switched. Been too busy to call them but will on Saturday because it's happening every night at the same time. During the early evening it is fine.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
If it still happens on a wired connection, then you should call Sky.
If it's only on Wireless, then it could easily be caused by others using the same or nearby wireless channels close to you. (That's why someone already asked how you are connecting).

See [HOW TO] Diagnose Wireless Issues | AVForums

Dave Lewis

Novice Member
Don't understand why someone would have a wireless issue in the evening it sounds like throttling/congestion, you need to call SKY.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Don't understand why someone would have a wireless issue in the evening it sounds like throttling/congestion, you need to call SKY.

Because there could be a lot more local WLAN (and other 2.4 GHZ) RF activity in the evenings.
Easy to check though (by going wired as a test).

Zombane

I live in a semi rural location with only 1 other wifi network in range. I am ringing Sky tomorrow, first chance I've had to.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom