Connection dropping out.

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My son has his x box 360 connected via the wireless bridge to my belkin cable router. We use Virgin.net and have the 10 MB service. Here is my speedtest data

He has no problem connecting to X-box Live but when he is in the middle of a game the connection drops out. He mostly plays CODWAW. To say he is getting frustrated is putting it mildly!

However, we had similar problems with the PS3 and sometimes if I am downloading things on the PC (connected directly to the router via Ethernet) the download stops mid way through.

I have the network set up on WPA-PSK(no-server) security mode with authentication WPA-PSA and encription technique TKIP.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

SDM

I sometimes get this too. Normall at the start of a game of fifa09 i was thinking maybe that they were cancelling to play (like the other player) but i have a netgear router. I also get the whole pc thing. Sorry to hijack youre thread but maybe we could like compare notes and come up with some ideas on how to solve the problem ?

Hi,

I'd be happy to help.

I don't think it is other people stopping the game as he plays with friends and they would tell him. Plus with my PC and laptop dropping out too; I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

However, I did look at the router log and I noticed that I am getting WAN disconnection events every now and then and this is when his game is dropping out. A friend asked to check the connections between the cable modem and the cable router first. If that does not work then he suspects either the modem or the router could have a fault.

I am also going to connect the x-Box 360 via an Ethernet and see what happens there.

So, those are my notes to date :D

Cheers,

SDM

Is your NAT 'Open' ?

Do a network/Xbox Live test and if it says NAT 'Moderate' or 'Strict' that could be the problem. If it doesn't mention NAT then that's good.

Regards,

Simon

if it happens on connections other than just the xbox then it is either your router or a problem with your lines.
i use a bt line but have the same problem and im currently tryin to work out why my connection goes every so often. discovered that there were old wires connected through my internal phone line which are no longer in use, things like that cause interference with the net connection.
but im sure it differs with virgins lines.

I have a simular problem although the connection to both the PC and PS3 work fine, the Xbox cannot obtain an IP address.

This has only recently started happening, about the same time as my next door neighbour had Sky Broadband installed...

I changed the channel on my BT Home Hub....no luck!

Currently without Xbox live :(

Is your NAT 'Open' ?

Do a network/Xbox Live test and if it says NAT 'Moderate' or 'Strict' that could be the problem. If it doesn't mention NAT then that's good.

Regards,

Simon

No mention of NAT. I will try direct via Ethernet over the weekend.

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom