Connection DMR E85 + Sky+ to Panasonic LZD81

mwy62831

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am having a problem connecting my DVD Recorder + Sky Box to TV , I have followed the instruction in the manual page 11 of the DVD using Scarts , The picture is letter box not full screen plus I cannot record from the sky Box to DVD. I assume that I am not connecting correctly.

Connection
Sky Box Scart Out to DVD AV in
DVD Out to TV AV1
DVD HDMI to TV

Any help would be appreciated getting frustrated now.

Last edited:
The connections seem OK. Are you sure you're following correct recording instructions for the recorder? As far as the aspect ratio is concerned, this should not mainly be a matter of the connections, but there should be controls on the TV remote for adjusting the ratio. Have you tried using them.

I see that this TV contains a Freesat tuner. Have you connected your dish to it? If so, are you sure that your Sky box is still connected to the dish properly, and that you are not watching Freesat via the TV's tuner.

Geofbob,

Thank for your quick reply, I am new to this TV and just getting to grips with it, evn though i love the picture quality on Freesat. Sky is working and connected correctly, so I do not know what the problem is. I have been at it for a few hours changing the scart cables arround. Do I need the RF cables for Freeview connected thru the SKy box as suggested by the manual ?

Mike

I take it that your main problem is still not being able to record Sky; and I'm still not sure the answer lies in changing the connections. I'm also a little puzzled that you seem to think the problem has something to do with the TV. The recording function of the recorder should work even if it isn't connected to the TV. And I wouldn't have thought it made any difference whether or not the aerial runs through from the Sky box to the TV. Sorry, if this sounds rather elementary, but presumably you are using the recorder remote to control the recording function, not the TV remote?

You haven't said what model of recorder you have or which recording mode(s) you have tried - EPG, Manual Timer or Instant? If you haven't already done so, you might try the Instant, as this is usually the easiest.

(Incidentally, since you mention Freeview, I assume this TV has a Freeview tuner as well as the Freesat; rather surprisingly, the specs I've seen don't mention this.)

The picture is letter box not full screen plus I cannot record from the sky Box to DVD. I assume that I am not connecting correctly.

On the E85, goto Functions / To others / Setup / Connections / TV Aspect and change the setting to 16:9.
Connection
Sky Box Scart Out to DVD AV in
DVD Out to TV AV1
DVD HDMI to TV

Ensure you are using the TV scart output from the Skybox [ not the VCR scart]
Check in the sky menus that it is outputting RGB and widescreen.

Edit - Also see post No. 8

Last edited:
Hi Gavin

The OP says he is connected by HDMI which I don't think the E85 had, I think he probably has an EX-85. In either case I think he should disconnect the HDMI lead and get things working via scart first and then decide whether to use HDMI or not.

Hi Gavin

The OP says he is connected by HDMI which I don't think the E85 had, I think he probably has an EX-85. In either case I think he should disconnect the HDMI lead and get things working via scart first and then decide whether to use HDMI or not.

Thanks Adrian. I missed that . I'll look at it again. :smashin:

mwy' ... Assuming Adrian is correct and you have an EX85 then goto:

Functions / To others / Setup / Connections / HDMI settings and choose the way you would like 4:3 material to be displayed via HDMI.... with the 'Aspect for 4:3 Video' setting.

See guidance for your options on page 51 of the EX85 manual.

Also consider doing as Adrian suggested of achieving setup without HDMI first.

Regarding the problem of not being able to record from the skybox... Are you selecting AV2 as the input on the EX85?
When you do so can you see sky on the TV? If so it should be possible to record it.

Last edited:
It might be because your dvd player doesn't like outputting both scart and hdmi to your tv.

On my virgin box I have two scart outputs, one goes to the dvd recorder and the other one goes to the av1 scart on the tv. The dvd recorder is then conected to the tv via hdmi.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom