1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection conundrum

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by david00, Jan 2, 2005.

1. david00

david00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I would really appreciate some help in figuring out the best way to connect up my home theatre system, having recently bought a new DVD player, Surround Sound Receiver and a Freeview STB, to augment my old TV/VCR system. Each of the instruction manuals has a slightly different suggested connection approach, and I am hoping that someone can help me make sense of it all. I used to think I was technically savvy, but am now just lost in confusion.

My system consists of the following:

1. TV. Philips 29PT8282C. Old 28" 4:3 CRT.
    SCART 1. Recommended for STB. I think this is input only.
    SCART 2. Recommended for VCR. I think this is input and output.
    SCART3. Recommended for other peripherals. Again, I think this is input only.
    There is also a Audio L&R output via phono sockets
    There is no S-Video connector on the back, although there is an S-Video font panel connection along with Audio L&R phono sockets and a Video phono socket, all for Camcorder input.

2. VCR. JVC HR S-7000 S-VHS recorder.
    SCART 1. Normally connected to TV. This is both input and output.
    SCART 2. Recommended for STB. This is input only
    RF in, RF out.
    S-Video input and output
    Audio L&R input and output phono connectors

3. STB. Humax PVR-8000T
    SCART marked TV
    SCART marked Video
    Audio L&R and Video output phono connectors
    S/PDIF optical output

4. DVD player. Pioneer 575A
    Audio L&R stereo output phone connectors
    Audio 5.1 output phono connectors
    Video output phono connector
    Component video out (3 phono connectors)
    SCART (to receiver)

5. Receiver. Pioneer C502.
    Digital Audio inputs; 1 coaxial phono connector and 2 optical connectors (can be associated with different input devices)
    Surround L&R, Centre and Surround inputs (Front L&R carried by SCART)
    SCART 1. Video (for VCR)
    SCART 2. STV
    SCART 3. TV
    SCART4. DVD

I would like to understand the best way to connect everything together. I have two separate (and possibly different connection) requirements:

- I would like to know what the best quality connection configuration is.
    - I would ideally like be able to use the VCR and STB with the TV, without having to have the receiver switched on.

I know that my VCR can only record analogue TV signals, not those from the STB.

Much of my confusion is from not knowing what signals are carried in a fully cabled SCART, and whether they are better quality than those carried by the other connection types.

One final question I have is to do with earthing. All my equipment runs off 2-core mains cables (no earth). I noticed that if I touch a neon mains tester screwdriver against exposed metal, it lights up briefly, but I know that the chassis are not 'live' as such. Should I try to earth each chassis to the mains earth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Scart can carry RGBS (BEST) S-video (good) or composite (Poor) what is output by each device and what each scart on TVaccpets varies but i would suggest
    DVD>AMP
    HUMAX AV1>AMP
    AMP>AV1 (ON RGB IF possible)
    Humax AV2(S-video)>S-VHS>AV2/3 on TV (which ever accpets S-video)
    This will alow STB>VCR recording and and watching both without amp on run analogue audio to amp from VCR for VCR with AMP use

3. david00

david00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your advice re the "Connection Connundrum" issue I posted earlier this month.

Best regards,

David.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Did it help? working better now?

5. david00

david00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it all works...

I'm still a little concerned about the 'floating earth' situation. If a use a digital multimeter to check the voltage between the metal case of the receiver and the metal rack everything sits on, this can be as high as 70v AC. If I use an old-fashioned analogue meter, there is no voltage differential. If I connect an analogue multimeter (which has a high resistance, but nowhere near as high as the digital one), then when the digital meter is also connected this causes both to show zero. I'm sure it's to do with not having everything earthed.

I do have another problem though. I have noticed that when the STB is on, I can't turn the receiver on with its remote control. When I press the power button on the RC, the receiver 'clicks' on, then immediately 'clicks' off. I can still power it on correctly from the front panel. The problem goes away when I disconnect the SCART lead between the receiever and STB. Has anyone else encountered this, with a Humax 8000T and a Pioneer C502?