1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection connundrum

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by davee, Oct 10, 2005.

1. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm not sure if ive missed a trick here but having got the projector up and running via the componant outputs of the dvd32 flr, (very nice too thank you) I thought I'd try and route the tv signal to the pj as well. However the dvd outputs to the pj directly so how do you get a signal to it without running another cable :confused: or have I really lost the plot :rolleyes:

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Does your DVD have a PSM installed? If so, you can route the TV picture to the DVD (via the AV32 if you want). If no PSM, then I'm afraid it'll be another cable.

The only other way to do it would be to connect the AV32 to the PJ using s-video (monitor out), and then inputting the DVD and TV signal to the AV32 (via s-video as well). However, you will lose picture quality from the DVD if you do it that way.

Best option is to use another cable...

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the psm so presumably could go from the av32 but via which connections. I also have a spare 4 wire signal cable in the conduit which I guess could used for s-video

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    You have a PSM, that is good. What you need to do is to connect your TV signal, via s-video to your AV32R. You then connect the s-video +OSD out of your AV32R to the S-video in on the DVD32R. You then need to press shift+2 on the remote (in DVD mode) to select the s-video input, and you should be able to view the TV source.

See page 42 of the DVDFLR manual (downloaded from Dr Zuckers sticky thread) for a better explanation than I can give.

5. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for that lovegroova, I'll give it a try although it looks as though I'm going to have to get some rca-bnc adapters If I want to use the existing componant cable

6. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    You should definitely get some RCA-BNC adaptors as they will allow you to use the PSM output, which is only available on the BNC outputs of the DVD32FLR. You will also see a much improved picture for your DVDs using these outputs.

The adaptors are available from Maplins for £2.66 each.

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    DVD output is amazingly good on rca anyway, can only get to 78" wide though :D I seem to recall in a previous thread that GrahamMG though there was no noticable difference between the bnc's and the rca's. For a tenner though I'll give it a go. Thanks

8. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    as your DVD32FLR has the PSM module you could see a bit of an improvement by using the BNCs (these only give out Progressive on PSM'd DVD32s) over the RCA (interlaced only) depending on how good the deinterlacing solution in your projector is.

plus you can possibly simplify your system video switching by routing any composite and S-video sources via the AV32 then through the PSM module to convert all video inputs to Progressive, doing it this way allows you calibrate each inputs brightness (black level), contrast (picture brightness), colour saturation (IIRC) and sharpness (again IIRC), it's a very neat solution.

9. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm using a screenplay 5700 :D
    Yeaaah... :rolleyes: I'll try and get my head round that and give it a try. Thanks Liam

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    It's pretty simple davee.

1) Connect all your video sources via s-video (or composite if you have to) to the s-video inputs AV32R, with the associated audio also connected.

2) Using the AV32R setup menu, set the correct audio inputs to match the video inputs.

3) Connect your the s-video +OSD out of your AV32R to the S-video in on the DVD32R

4) Connect the AV32R to the DVD32R via the TAGTronic bus.

5) Select the input you wish to watch using the AV32R

See pages 68-70 of the AV32R Dual Processor Manual downloadable above for more info.

It's well worth taking the time to do this...

11. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I knew it wasnt going to be straight forward. :mad: With all connections made I managed to get a Black and white image via the s-video connection with the componant signal out of the dvd via the psm /bnc's. Try as I may I couldnt get colour. This may be because the tv only outputs via scart, however I was using a scart adadper with s-video out. I also tried it directly out of the freeview box, again with the adapter but no difference. The only way I could get an output in colour was to use a composite cable, which makes you realize how much of a difference there is between different connections. (DVD was fine btw so not the connection) It also took a bit of figuring out to get the image to a large size, I'm still not sure of the combination of key presses between the remotes. there were many.... I think if I have to stick with this image, despite the lesser quality the size is worth it, it would be worth having a seperate cable to the pj so the adjustments could be made independantly to the componant already set up and calibrated from the dvd

12. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    The problem is as follows: Your TV is outputting an RGB and a composite signal. As you point out, the composite works fine.

You need to get your TV to output an s-video signal which may be doable from within the TVs menus. If not, you'll have to get an rgb to s-video convertor, just using a SCART to s-video lead will not convert the signal from RGB to s-video. Convertors are available from a variety of sources.

What make/model TV do you have?

13. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its a Loewe Planus, Ill check the onboard menu

14. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    According to this review from hifichoice, the TV has s-video out http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=127 so you should be able to connect it using an s-video to s-video connection, but I suspect you will be able to set up one of the SCART outputs to s-video.

15. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You're right, the output is switchable through the tv menu. The s-video socket however is on the front behind a flap so its ok but only for occasional use. I'll persevere with the scart though. Thanks for all your help lovegroova :smashin:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    juggling in the dark between 4 machines and 4 remotes is no way to spend an evening

16. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    The s-video socket on the front panel is an input socket, not an output socket. According to the Planus manual here http://www.synergie.it/download/Tandberg/MonitorLoeweManual.pdf (page 23) the AV1 SCART socket can output an s-video signal (they call it S-VHS). I guess you can set this up in the connections menu.

Just to clarify, have you managed to set one of the SCARTs to output an s-video signal, which is now being fed to the AV32R?

17. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    errr.......................no :mad: still nothing on s-video and now i've buggered up the colour on the tv via the freeview box! The tv is not the current Planus its about 4 years old. While I'm not one to give up on something I think I'm going with this as I will only end up messing everything else up in the process.
    Thanks for the link to the manual btw, I never had one of those originally.

18. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Hmm, sorry to hear you're having so many problems. :thumbsdow

However, I hadn't realised you were sourcing your TV signal from a freeview box.

I need to get some idea of how you have connected things. I assume the Freeview box has 2 SCARTS, one connected to SCART1 on the TV, and the other to a VCR. I also assume the Freeview box outputs either an RGB or a composite signal (Let me know the model and I'll double check this on the web).

As you've lost the colour from the freeview box signal, that means you've succeeded in switching the SCART1 to accept an s-video signal.

I guess SCART2 is still configured to receive an RGB signal, try switching the SCART 1 and SCART2 around to see if that fixes things.

Failing that, the simplest way to connect things up is to use an RGB to s-video convertor.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

19. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    davee, please tell us what else you have plugged in and what connection type is used to connect it what other box.

IE. tv(input2) to freeview(input1) via scart(RGB), freeview(input2) to vcr(scart1) via scart

once we can see that, we should be able to come up with sensible suggestions.

20. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    OK last go... attached is a connection diagram. It should be easier than trying to explain it. I hope it has got all the current connections shown, they've been in and out quite a few times in different configuartions. The Freeview box is a Humax F2FOXT.
    Lovegroova, I've got the colour back on the tv now, I think it was a dodgy scart connection. I have also tried taking the signal direct from the freeview box via the adapter which gives the same sort of picture as from the tv.
    I guess I dont know what the quality from tv should be like compared to dvd which is excellent.
    Anyway if nothing else I now have a diagram which I can use to put things back when I have to move it all out of the way again :rotfl:

21. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I've had a look at the humax manual and it seems the easiest way to connect the Humax to the AV32 would be to use an RCA cable to connect the composite video output on the back of the Humax (connection number 6 on page GB9 of the manual), to a composite input on the AV32R. Then connect the composite output of the AV32R to the composite input on the DVD32R, and then select that input on the DVD32R (shift and 1)

See my post #10, and replace s-video with composite all the way through, and it should work fine.

The picture quality will be 'OK' rather than amazing, but it should be watchable. All you need is 2 RCA-RCA video leads, and it should all work.

Good luck.

However, if the image quality is not up to your requirements, you'll need to invest in an RGB to s-video convertor like this one http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=34&osCsid=59a2c66fcb50dd964ae1f7740d465d33 which you can insert into your RGB path, and it will still send an RGB picture to the TV, as well as an s-video signal to the AV32R.

22. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks lovegroova, I'll give it a go. :smashin:
    I'm not sure whetther the connection diagram uploaded previously, couldnt see it just now so I have attempted to attach it to this post. (Darn, still cant see it, now what have I done wrong) :suicide:

Attached Files:

23. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I can see the diagram just fine.

It looks like to've already managed to hook up the composite output of the Humax to the DVD32R using the yellow wire as indicated on your diagram. What is the quality like? If it's no good, then the RGB to s-video convertor as suggested above is the only way to improve things. It's also easy to connect up.

24. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    davee, you might want to consider using a M1-DA adapter on the M1 port on the InFocus then a DVI-DVI cable from the DVI port on the PSM, this in thoery will improve your DVD picture even further as it would avoid the PSMs output D-A and the projectors input A-D, the difference would likely be improved clarity and lower image noise. What length of cabling do you have between the FLR and the ScreenPlay?

As lovegroova suggested a RGB to S-video convertor on the output Humax should give improve video over the composite output, the difference would likely be improved clarity and lower noise.

[edit]
    I just found a picture of the rear of humax on empiredirect, it clearly shows the humax has L+R audio, composite, TOSlink and something that likely to be S-video all together in a cluster. It may be that all the outputs are active simultaneously, in which case you could use that seperate S-video to feed the PSM via the AV32 and still set the scart to RGB for your direct connection to your TV. You also might like to try the TOSlink optical to connect to the AV32.

25. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Liam, I have the manual, and there is no s-video output on the rear of the Humax. What you may be confusing is the RS232 lead.

As for Liam's comments on linking the DVD32 to the Infocus, I feel I should point out that the DVD23Rs DVI output is a digitised version of the analogue outputs, so in fact the conversion is D-A-D, and you won't in fact miss out on the PSMs D-A conversion. There might be some benefit at the Infocus end, but I doubt it. And as Dave's got it working via component, it's probably best to apply an 'if it ain't broke' policy.

26. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    lovegroova, the picture of the Humax outputs is a bit small to make out what the socket is exactly, its a shame it doesn't have an S-video, but still davee may be able to use the composite output through the AV32 into the PSM for his projector feed and stil use the scart as RGB for his tv.

regarding the PSM progressive output - the PSM only has analog inputs yes, but if you take the output via the DVI in doesn't have to run through another D-A, the Sil504 chip (the deinterlacer) only works in the digital domain, the BNC outputs are fed via another video DAC that runs progressive output, so if you go via the DVI ouput you avoid the DAC after the Sil504 and also the component A-D on the input of the Screenplay projector.

27. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You guys are wayyyyy beyond me :rolleyes:
    The Humax doesnt have an s-video connector unfortunately,it would have made things much easier. It is an RS 232 connection.
    I'm running a 10m componant cable.
    As far as the image goes its much softer than dvd, the colours are 'browner' and dont have the clarity or vibrance of dvds.
    What I will do is run a seperate connection to the pj so I can try and improve the image with independant settings

28. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Stick with the component for DVD, don't worry about using a DVI cable - the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle is best applied here :thumbsup:

You can try a separate connection to the projector but I suspect you will still get an inferior picture to that from DVDs. It's the nature of the TV signal I'm afraid.

Having had a quick look at the 5700 specifications, I see it is able to receive an RGB signal directly from a SCART, with an appropriate adapter (ask your dealer, although there may be an adapter in the box already - I don't know)) The spec sheet reads as follows:

1 - Component (D5):HDTV, EDTV, Standard TV, RGB SCART with adapter