1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection between HTPC and LCD TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rolighed, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll receive my new Philips 32PF9830 Flat TV on wednesday and I am wondering what the best connection from my HTPC will be... DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI?
    I want to be able to play DVD, 720P and 1080i material from my PC. However, the panels native resolution is 1366x768 so should I be running my HTPC at that resolution - or might it be better to run at at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 = let the HTPC do the rescaling instead of the TV?

Cheers
    Rolighed

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Rolighed,

I would connect the PC via DVI to DVI but also try DVI to HDMI with an adaptor as the DVI and HDMI input on the TV may differ somewhat.

I know on the previous Philips LCD (32PF9885 or something ??) that only had DVI, the DVI input could only output at 720 and not the full 768 leaving black bars top and bottom. This is something to check on yours (Or ask on the LCD forum). You may find that it happens on DVI and not HDMI.

Let the HTPC do the scaling work with something like FFDShow. Depending on your graphics card, you should be able to get 1360 or 1368 x 768 unless you've got the nVidia drivers that apparently let you choose a resolution that isn't divisable by 8 so you'll get the perfect 1366x768 resolution. External scalers are always better than the internal TV ones. Some have said that a well set up HTPC can match the standard of some expensive stand alone scalers.

Richie.