1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lbocmmjm, Dec 3, 2002.

1. lbocmmjm

lbocmmjm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone

Well, i'm new to this home cinema and am looking for some connection advice. I found this forum and have read lots of previous posts to come up with the connection plan below. What i really need is for your opinions on my connections?

So, system comprises of..

Philips 32pw8717 TV (two scart, 1 RGB, din audio out, all on rear)
    Toshiba SD220e DVD (one scart (out), coax and optical out)
    Aiwa VCR (two scart)
    NTL digital box (not sure of connections, installation in a week)
    Aego P5 decoder/speaker system (on order but has coax and optical in as well as 3 sets of dins for other devices)

This is how I plan to connect everything

1) DVD to TV using scart into non RGB scart of TV using S-video out option on DVD
    2)Cable box to TV using scart into RGB scart of TV
    3)Cable box to VCR using scart
    4)DVD to receiver/decoder using digital coaxial
    5)Cable box to receiver/decoder using standard din

so, here are the questions...

1)does this all make sense?
    2)I don't know the connections on the digital cable box. If there is only one scart socket on it shall i daisy chain the vcr between it and the TV?
    3)If i connect as 1-5 above can i still use the on screen menus for the vcr?
    4)If the cable box doesn't have audio out can i use the audio out from the TV to connect to the receiver/decoder (which is best). Do i just use a standard HiFi audio interconnect for this

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Cheers Mike

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    1)does this all make sense?

Mostly, but run DVD to RGB scart direct and Cable box to 2nd (non RGB scart). Ignore s-video output, it is slightly inferior

2)I don't know the connections on the digital cable box. If there is only one scart socket on it shall i daisy chain the vcr between it and the TV?

Yes, then you can easily record Cable TV too. If Cable box has 2 scarts, still use daisy chain on both scarts on VCR as above

3)If i connect as 1-5 above can i still use the on screen menus for the vcr?

Maybe? I don't know this one. Should be ok if OSD works through scart. If not use composite lead as before.

4)If the cable box doesn't have audio out can i use the audio out from the TV to connect to the receiver/decoder (which is best). Do i just use a standard HiFi audio interconnect for this

Cable box to Amp direct with standard phono lead is best. They all should have av out. Ignore telly, you are adding too much equipment into sound path.

3. lbocmmjm

lbocmmjm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the quick answer.

Just a quick question on one of your answers. If i run the DVD to the RGB of the TV doesn't that mean that my cable will just be via composite into the other scart? Or can you select S-video as an output from the STB. It's just that composite always put at the bottom of the list of quality inputs.

Cheers

Mike