1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wogit, Jun 30, 2005.

1. wogit

wogit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some advice to get the best from my setup which is as follows :-

Toshiba Picture Frame 32ZP
    SKY +
    Cambridge Azur 540D DVD
    Cambridge Azur 540R Amp
    Tannoy 5.1 Speakers.

I have just order the amp and speakers from RS and its should be delivered soon.

At the moment my TV provides surround sound. When i get the amp will i have to connect the sky and dvd and tv to the amp or is there a way that i couyld change between the amp and tv providing the surround sound. I dont want to use the amp all the time and have to change it when watching some SKY and TV channels. Can this be done?

Also what other cables will i need.

The other point relates to the speaker cables. There are speaker cables to the corners of the room behind the plaster. the problem is that the tv has been moved and therefore it has been nessecary to lenghten the cables to reach the TV. is this ok on the basis that i use the same quality or type of cable or will this compomise performance. What is the best way of joining the cables?

I know its a buget setup but i want to get the best out of it so your help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO the amp will blow the surround fromt he tv away so in the end you will end up just using the amp anyway. If your going to use the TV surround what was the point in buying the amp and speakers?? :nono:

Just connect the sky to the amp with a digital connection (if it has it, coaxial is best for short lenths)
    Then connect a analogue cable to the amp from the tv and the dvd with a digital connection and the scart/componant to the tv as usual.

If you can use the same cable. To connect depends if your using bare cables or you have fitted banana plug connection boxes. You could just connect hte cables by wrapping the cable together and using insulating tape.

Cables
    1*digital either optical or coaxial from dvd to amp
    1* scart or componant from dvd to tv
    1* analogue cable to connect the tv to the amp
    1* coaxial cable from the subwoofer to the amp.
    (optional)1 analogue to connect the dvd player to the amp if your going to use it for playing music.

Have a look in the cables power buy forum and get Mark Grants cables. He may seem expensive but his cables are superb for :beer: money :thumbsup:

3. wogit

wogit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I might be wrong but i was thinking that the amp will have many different sound options and the other half might complain that coronation strett and enders sound strange.

Seriously though i read a post somewhere one here for my TV in wwhich the author said that the TV sound was great and that he used it for general TV - news, soaps etc and that he cranked the amp on for films and sport. Is this possible and if so how? Would you have to have two sets of speaker cables?

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    After having an amp for a while you wil just settle on your favorite decoder , either :dd: or :dts: and leave it at that.

You could do what you are interested in doing by buying a multispeaker switch box or multiple speaker switch boxes.