1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection advice please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Alandw, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Alandw

Alandw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting a DVD recorder (Sony RDR-GX3) to use with my Sony IDTV, but am not sure how to connect for the best picture quality.

I would like to use the Smartlink function which is only available on AV3, (on which the digital picture is output from the TV) which is a non RGB scart, but which is listed in the manual as accepting s-video input.

When it comes to playing back recordings, the DVD recorder has component, s-video and Scart+RGB output.

The TV has 2 scart+RGB inputs(in addition to AV3) but there is no available output socket on the DVD recorder as it is already being used for the digital TV input from AV3! (There is a second scart on the back of the DVD recorder, but this I think is an input only and I would like to use this with an external box anyway)

Would there be any point in me buying a s-video to scart connector and plugging this into one of the spare RGB scarts on the TV, or getting a component to scart cable or s-video to scart cable perhaps.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks Alan

2. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV3 is meant for VCR's Mainly they don't need RGB. Smartlink only works with VCR's. Use Av1 or Av2.

3. Alandw

Alandw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just checked the spec again on the Sony website and it does say Smartlink connection for the RDR-GX3 which in conjunction with the long awaited 7-day EPG should be pretty usefull.