1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection Advice, gaming on a plasma

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by fuzzybee, Sep 4, 2003.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I will be getting delivery of a Hitachi 42inch plasma in a few weeks and want to be able to display my consoles with the best picture possible.
    I have a US GC which was connected to my Toshiba CRT via the official Jap Component cable, i figure sticking with this connection should be the best option as my plasma will display the 480p that the ntsc GC outputs.
    I also have a Jap DC and a pal chipped xbox, both are connected via RGB scart cables.
    I understand the DC can be connected via a VGA cable directly to the plasma or by a multiple VGA switcher ??
    For my xbox i need to enable the Prog Scan option but seeing as it's a pal machine it doesn't have the option, i do have the region disc and have set it to ntsc so now what do i need besides a component hdtv pack ??

2. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have 42" Hitachi PDP for almost two years now.
    At the moment I have Xbox, GC and DC all hooked up to PDP.
    Dc is hooked up using VGA as well as S-video while Xbox an GC both connected to PDP's component input via component switcher from AutoAuthority.

The switch also connect DVD and STB to PDP's single component input.
    Being an auto switcher it works like charm.

And I've been thinking of getting VGA-component transcoder so I can hook up DC as well - in that way I can leave PDP at the component input mode and the switcher does the switch automatically.

dj898

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    All you need is the HDTV pack for the xbox and to kick it into US mode set it up to enable 480p. I've got the AA switcher also and its really good, but I'm leaving the DC as a VGA connected console as the quality from it is so good I don't want to spoil it :) If you get a PS-2 order the component lead from www.uk.playstation.com

Regards,
    Neil.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is spooky I was about to ask the same question re the DC!!

At present I have both my VGA's taken, how would I get around this to connect the DC?

Cheers
    John

5. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the info guys, am i right in thinking if i enable ntsc mode via the region disk(which i have to play KOTOR. If i then buy a HDTV pack i will get the 480p option in the display options on the dashboard ??

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yup as long as you are using the US KOTOR and a hi def pack, although if you go with that Hitachi I doubt you'll see much difference with prog scan.

Neil.

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    either get a VGA switch, plug the DC in as RGB or unplug one of your VGA sources.

Neil.

8. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    To be honest the official component cables for the Xbox & PS2 never really impressed me. I switched to the Monster component cables for both consoles and got a noticably better picture.

Having said that, getting hold of these cables is a real pain in the arse. I had to import them via a friend in the states, pushing the total cost up to £120 for the two.

9. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet are unfortunatly the only official MONSTER distributers in the uk so buy from them or you'll have to import, and importing them is usually cheaper.

10. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Comet do not and will not supply the monster component cables for xbox or ps2. And as they have the exclusive rights to UK distribution of Monster game cables no US firm will import as they risk losing their distribution rights. You might get lucky and find one who will take the risk, I couldn't.