1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection a playstation 2

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by mobily, Jul 26, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I have only just purchased a playstation 2 and was wondering what is the best way to connect it. At the moment it is plugged into the front panel of my television. However if I were to purchase a playstation 2 scart lead (if one exists!?) would I receive a noticeable difference in the quality of picture??

I have a Toshiba 28ZD26 television and my dvd is connected through component, my freeview box through rgb scart and my video through s-video scart. I have one scart connection left on the back of the tv and would like to make use of it. The final scart connection also has s-video capabilities.

Could anyone recommend a ps2 scart lead that would make the picture almost crystal clear? Or is it worth sticking with the lead I have?

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

James :)

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    I use the Blaze RGB cable for my PS2, I think they also do a S-video cable and I think that would probably be your best bet if your RGB socket is already in use. Of course if you wanted to run 2 or more devices through your RGB socket you could always consider a scart switch box, I have the Joytech scart switch box and have PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Freeview box all conected through one RGB socket of my tv.
    Whatever, you should certainly see an improvement to the picture whichever you use.
    Enjoy your PS2 :thumbsup:

3. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help Tetlee!

I have found the following products from blaze:

http://www.playstationchips.co.uk/pages/ps2-leads.html

Would the s-video product provide a better picture than if I purchased a scart lead to connect to my third available scart socket? The s-video connection is on the front panel of the tv. The gold plated s-video is £4.99 whilst the rgb scart is £15. Since the scart isn't rgb compatible would it be worth the extra expense?

Any help gratefully received,

James :)

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    TBH I don't think you would benefit from a RGB scart lead if it's connected through a non-RGB socket, so personally I'd go for the Blaze S-video option, I haven't ever used an S-video connection myself but I think if it's a decent cable there's little between that and RGB scart.
    Hope that helps.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    mobily, i'd strogly recommend an RGB connection as there is a huge difference between a standard scart and an RGB one.

As Tetlee mentioned you can use a scart splitter box to provide more scart sockets. I've just bought the Argos one and it's superb - provides 3 inputs (therefore 2 extra ones) and all 3 inputs can be set to RGB! I have a Dreamcast, Saturn and PS2 all connected in RGB through the use of the splitter. Here's the link to the scart splitter :

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=108277&Trail=C$cip=16704>C$cip=16705>C$cip=16707&categoryId=16707

They work very well - no picture degradation and you just use a push button to select source. You'll need a decent RGB scart lead to connect the splitter to the TV as well. These are usually around £15 - £20, although you can pay a lot more if you want really high quality. :thumbsup: