1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connectinng PLVz2 to PC via DVI causes fuses to blow

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tonynolan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Tonynolan

Tonynolan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PLV z2 has been happliy running via component inputs for couple of months.
    Yesterday tried connecting it to the DVI-out on my home PC. This DVI out is used to feed the monitor of my PC so I know it works ok. However, when the DVI lead is plugged into home PC, and the PLV z2 is switched on, it blew the fuse on my PC. Repeating the exercise it tripped my Earth leakage circuit breaker.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?
    Graphics card with DVI out on my PC is an ATI All in Wonder.

It is very curious.. some voltage feeding back into the PC from the PLV z2???

2. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony,

Can't help really. As you may have noticed I have posted a similar thread. I have same setup but fuses don't blow just PJ doesn't recognise input.

If I find out anything I shall let you know via this thread. I would appreciate if you would do the same.

Seeya

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're using the same cable and socket on your PC and simply unplugging from a monitor and plugging into the Z2 then my money's on a faulty DVI socket on the Sanyo .. there's nothing special about the Z2's DVI-D socket that I can recall, certainly mine worked fine plugged into my PC's DVI port using a bog-standard Lindy DVI-D->DVI-D cable.

4. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mine works fine as well :

Asus Radeon 9600SE to Z2

5. Tonynolan

Tonynolan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the weekend I also tried feeding the Z2 via the composite input, again fed from my PC graphics card. Same problem - my RCD tripped as soon as I switched the Z2 on.

It sounds like some incompatibility between the Z2 and my graphics card... I wonder whether one of them is earthed and the other is floating or something like that? In effect I am connecting two sources in parallel (my DVD player and my PC) and it doesn't like it.

I'll try disconnecting my component feed before connecting my composite or DVI feed from computer and see what happens....

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: .. ouch, that sounds nasty.

I can't see their being an inherent incompatiblity between the graphics card and the projector, ATI Wonders are pretty common. My money is still on a fault, though clearly not with the DVI socket to the projector as I first suggested.

Do you by any chance have another graphics card to try, just to try to eliminate it? Sounds to me like the circuit breaker is indeed spotting a short to earth .. a statement of fact perhaps. :)

Are you using a different wall socket for the equipment? If so can you try plugging them into the same one? Do you have a TV that you can try to the S-Video output of the PC into?

I once had a situation in a house I had where the earth on one loop was at a different potential to that on another loop. If you have a friendly sparky it may be worth getting him to check.