Connecting Yamaha R-N602 to AVR? Possible?

sebolon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sweden!

Ok, so I have a 2.1 setup at home for music. My speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze 2 powered by Yamaha R-N602 stereo receiver. I'm now thinking about expanding this system with rear speakers and maybe a centre channel. My question is if it's possible to connect my Yamaha R-N602 to an AVR (Marantz nr1504) and use both systems simultaneously for movie watching? I've seen that the Marantz has pre outs for left and right speakers. But where would the cables go in on my Yamaha?

My second question is if it's possible to connect a centre channel to my Yamaha and plug it into the "B" connection on my amp and therefor use both A and B at the same time for movie watching or would the sound/dialogue in movies be totally off?

Welcome to the Forum.

The only way you can use a stereo amp within a 5.1 set up is to use pre-outs on the AVR to the Yamaha. The AVR is the processor for decoding 5.1 audio and thus must be used as the first stop for that audio. You can only use the Yamaha to power the front left and right speakers.

You are further complicated as I don't think the Yamaha has HT by-pass. You would therefore have to connect the pre-outs on the Marantz to a line-in on the Yamaha and balance the audio by using both the Yamahas volume control as well as that of the Marantz with the front speakers being connected to the Yamaha only.

With any stereo amp that has HT by-pass it's a simple connection from the Marantz pre-outs to the dedicated line in for HT by-pass. This takes the pre-amp analogue signal from the Marantz and passes it straight into the power amp section of the stereo amp. The volume is then controlled by the Marantz. The speakers would just be connected to the stereo amp. It can and does work very well and is the system I use with a Denon AV amp and a Rega stereo amp.

Again you will run into trouble using the sub which is best connected to the Marantz as a 5.1 soundstream will use the LFE channel, the .1, for deep bass effects which is pretty essential for watching discs, TV and streaming services. There are subs that can use both low level (LFE) connections and high level, REL and BK for instance, allowing a connection to both AV amp and stereo amp.

Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining! Much appreciated! Alright, so I might be better off by sticking to my 2.1 channel setup. Would it be possible to connect a center channel to one of the B inputs on the Yamaha and use both A and B at the same time when watching movies? Would there be any gain in dialogue using a center channel if possible? Thanks again!

Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining! Much appreciated! Alright, so I might be better off by sticking to my 2.1 channel setup. Would it be possible to connect a center channel to one of the B inputs on the Yamaha and use both A and B at the same time when watching movies? Would there be any gain in dialogue using a center channel if possible? Thanks again!
No, for several reasons. There is no way that a stereo amp can process a signal to give a three speaker spread. If you connected a single speaker then you would get either a right of left hand channel. You would need to connect a pair. 8 ohm speakers would be reduced to a 4 ohm load with both A and B circuits playing. Both A and B would be drawing power from a single PSU.

A stereo amp is simply that. For stereo use only. You do need a multi channel amp for even a basic 3.1 set up.

Thank you for the quick reply! Good, now I can sleep at night:) Kind of you to help me out and educate me in the matter. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom